Talk

Advanced search

Stairway lights (LEDs?)

(13 Posts)
TDR Wed 05-Feb-14 09:03:36

I've seen some photos of stairways with little lights shining out at the side of them (foot height). Has anyone got these?

TDR Wed 05-Feb-14 13:45:47

Has no-one got these little lights?

flipchart Wed 05-Feb-14 13:48:36

I chose not to have them tbh.

I was bothered that they would highlight any bits of dust etc.

TDR Thu 06-Feb-14 21:35:31

Mmm so they don't seem very popular then. I don't particularly like them myself but it's a 60s townhouse and seems like the best use of space.

motleymop Thu 06-Feb-14 21:37:27

I am also a thinking about having these. Perhaps they only exist on Houzz and not in real life?!

lessonsintightropes Thu 06-Feb-14 22:44:15

I think they will date quickly and be a bugger to maintain. For a special occasion, you can achieve the same look with tea lights in coloured holders.

TDR Fri 07-Feb-14 08:07:20

I think they might date quickly too tbh, but our ceilings are low and I can't think of any other nice options.

krazipan Fri 07-Feb-14 08:14:12

My ndn has and they look lovely. She has an open plan kitchen diner and stairs leading up from there so it suits the 'look' of the space.

allthatglittersisnotgold Fri 07-Feb-14 09:46:59

We have these, about 5 that go up our main stairwell. They don't collect dust, they look amazing, but they are expensive to buy and fit.

audrey01 Fri 07-Feb-14 18:39:25

We just recently finished a major refurbishment and we decided to go for such stairway LED lights both on main staircase and loft staircase. Yes, they were a little bit expensive to install but am so glad we went for it, as in the evening you don't even need to turn on all the lights, you just have these on and it gives a very nice ambient lighting. Highly recommended!

DoctorDIY Sat 08-Feb-14 21:56:25

Hi Audrey,
Screwfix sell a pack of ten single LED's that plug into a 12volt transformer. They look great in kitchens around kickboards etc. The consideration you would have with them is that they are around 50mm long so you might need some back space to seat them in and somewhere to discreetly run the individual cables. Check out the items available on the link: http://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/led-garden-lights/cat4750082. Various prices, all designed for outside use so fully waterproof but also great indoors and screwfix deliver next day too
Regards DoctorDIY

AwesomeMrsFox Sun 09-Feb-14 11:27:58

We have these - I love them as they can be left on when DH comes home late and I think they look really nice. They were a real pain to fit as they are actually quite bulky, so lots of drilling/chasing. and you have to watch the spacing - we stayed in a holiday home last year and they didn't have one on the bottom step, for some reason everyone fell on this step, I think one on every stair is too much.

If I was doing again I would probably choose to put an LED strip under a side ledge. as it would be much easier and probably as effective.

daisychicken Sun 09-Feb-14 11:42:46

We have LEDs in our hall/landing ceiling plus one in the bathroom. They are just single LEDs placed strategically - DH has placed them so we can walk from the front door to any downstairs door plus up the stairs to the bedroom/bathroom without needing lights on - was very handy when he worked nights or dealing with kids in the middle of the night! We've even had them in the kids rooms as a nightlight when they went through their 'scared of the dark' phase and have been handy for loo trips esp as dc have loft beds. DH also fitted them with a battery which charges from the mains - this means in the case of power cuts for example, we would still have the lights on for so many nights (assuming a long power cut!). One LED has a sensor so they automatically come on at a certain light level and therefore go off when not needed.

Everyone who's seen them lit up has liked them (during the day, you don't know they are there) and the advantage of having them high up rather than on the stairs (which we did consider & have discussed since) is that they don't show up dust nor do they affect us having carpet etc fitted at a later date.

My FIL has even taken our idea and put one in his bathroom plus some in his holiday home! If we moved house, we would put them in again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now