Talk

Advanced search

Recommendation for nice village/small town in Cheshire

(15 Posts)
kate789 Tue 04-Feb-14 20:36:34

Hi,

Could anyone recommend nice villages or small towns in Cheshire? My parents are retiring there from Bucks and don't know the area at all. They are looking for a good community with things going on, somewhere near a Waitrose and nice shops, not too built up as they like to go walking, well-heeled but not snobby. My sister is in Didsbury so ideally within 45 mins ish of her.

They don't know where to start so any recommendations would be great!

Many thanks.

ShoeWhore Tue 04-Feb-14 20:53:23

There are some lovely places around Knutsford (although the planes can be quite noisy). Mobberley is quite nice I think. We also looked at Bollington and Wilmslow. My friend is from Nantwich and I have another friend from Northwich, both of those might be worth a look.

RCheshire Tue 04-Feb-14 21:00:48

Obvious thoughts from your description are knutsford and tarporley. Tarporley prob at limit of your didsbury distance.

pinkdelight Tue 04-Feb-14 23:14:39

Frodsham's pretty nice and not too far from Didsbury. Worth a look.

WowserBowser Tue 04-Feb-14 23:16:52

I used to live in Tarporley. Now live in Nantwich. My ex boss lived in Mobberley. All lovely places.

No Waitrose though!

Charlene1 Wed 05-Feb-14 00:31:35

Wincham, near Pickmere/Northwich is lovely - near to Knutsford for nice restaurants as well! smile

lessonsintightropes Wed 05-Feb-14 01:14:48

Poynton has a lot to offer in the way of facilities, has a Waitrose and is the right distance to Didsbury (can be done in 25 mins if traffic is right).

anchovies Wed 05-Feb-14 09:10:54

I'd agree with poynton although the A6 is a bit of a nightmare. Or I would say to look along the A34 (Wilmslow, Alderley Edge, Congleton or Knutsford) as all very easy to get to Didsbury.

snailsontour Wed 05-Feb-14 12:03:33

Are you my daughter??

Proximity to a Waitrose may be a stumbling block as they are pretty think on the ground in Cheshire.
Altrincham has one, as does Wilmslow. Chester has a baby one, but work has started building a large store on the south side.

What about the Wirral? We moved to Willaston from Altrincham last summer and just love it here. The only thing we miss is Waitrose, but we have m&s food at Heswall, and there is talk of Waitrose looking to site a store there. And we are about 45 mins from Didsbury...

Ask away if there's anything you'd like to know...

RCheshire Wed 05-Feb-14 17:03:20

Knutsford has Booths and Waitrose (who needs Waitrose when you've got Booths???)

Tarporley doesn't have a store like that, but there are some fantastic farm shops around Tarporley - in Utkinton, Willington and others.

Waitrose: Poynton, Cheadle Hulme, Alderley Edge, Knutsford, Northwich, Wilmslow, Sandback. There may be others...

Kitttty Wed 05-Feb-14 18:46:59

Rainow?

tb Thu 06-Feb-14 11:29:38

Knutsford also has Aldi, now, too grin

The second runway is only used according to the direction of the wind.

Tbf, you soon get used to the noise, and, as they get older and their hearing goes, it won't be such a problem.

Tatton Park has a gate just at the end of King Street - known as bottom street (in contrast to Princess St which is known as top street) and it's about a 40 minute walk to the house. Even with nt membership Cheshire county council who lease it charge at least £5 to take a car in.

CommanderShepard Sun 09-Feb-14 16:24:46

I grew up just outside Macclesfield and I always swore I'd never go back. But now, I so so would. It's changed a lot since I was young, and for the better!

I think they'd like Poynton, from the sounds of things. There again, Knutsford has Booths which is actually The Best Supermarket In The World Bar None Ever Ever If Destroyed Still True. I am not joking.

SauvignonBlanche Sun 09-Feb-14 16:29:44

Kuntsford has a Booths which is far superior to Waitrose. A large Waitrose is currently being built in Chester.

Clayhead Tue 11-Feb-14 17:05:11

smile at SauvignonBlanche - it's not that bad surely!

Booths is the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now