Talk

Advanced search

New plaster and wallpaper???

(4 Posts)
SuckItAndSee Tue 04-Feb-14 18:51:17

so we are having some replastering done at the moment. couple of walls are being re-skimmed, and two more plus ceiling have had the old plaster hacked off and are being plasterboarded before being skimmed.

we've painted on fresh plaster before, but this time I wanted to put lining paper up, as it's the hall and stairs we're doing, and so I won't be so easily able to fix the hairline cracks that will inevitably develop (old house, we get some seasonal movement).

do you put a mist coat of thinned emulsion down before papering, as you would when painting? and how long would it be best to leave it before papering?

SuckItAndSee Tue 04-Feb-14 19:22:02

??

MILdesperandum Tue 04-Feb-14 20:26:53

I am no expert but I would say yes to mist coat and to leave as long as possible before papering maybe a few weeks? Any moisture remaining in the plaster needs to get out before the paper goes on otherwise it can't escape - although saying that perhaps it is different for lining paper (i.e. not a vinyl paper)...

SuckItAndSee Tue 04-Feb-14 20:41:36

ta - am trying to persuade DH to delay decorating !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now