Talk

Advanced search

What kitchen style will date the least?

(14 Posts)
LittleBonnie Tue 04-Feb-14 17:35:58

I'm desperately hoping for a new kitchen this year and have been happily browsing the showrooms. I've never had a brand new kitchen before and I need to get it right.
Ideally I need it to be as classic as possible because once it's in it will probably be there for the next 20 years! I like shaker style in either white or cream but these have been around for years now so I'm guessing they will be out of style pretty soon.
I also like white gloss (I need to keep it pale to lighten the room) but I'm also worried that gloss is so trendy now that it will date the kitchen as per avocado did to bathroom in years gone by.
Opinions please? (if you also want to chuck in opinions about worktops, that would be helpful too!!)

littleredsquirrel Tue 04-Feb-14 17:48:50

IMO white kitchens are here to stay, raised moulding is now dated and shaker style is more timeless. Shaker style isn't going to date, it hasn't yet!

I frequent Houzz and granite worktops still seem to be popular (although did read a thread about them devaluing kitchens in California because its so prevalent). Currently White marble is very fashionable.

We are just doing our kitchen. Walnut floors and worktops, white painted cabinets and white marble tiles on the splashback.

17leftfeet Tue 04-Feb-14 17:51:53

Shaker is timeless

I think gloss units will date fairly quickly

The most important thing though if you are staying in your house for the next 20 years is get something you like -style is only important if you are selling in the next 5 years

dontcallmemam Tue 04-Feb-14 18:17:59

The fact that Shaker kitchens can be repainted appeals to me.
I think the least fussy will be the most timeless.
No barley twists or elaborate shelves.

ivykaty44 Tue 04-Feb-14 18:21:02

Shaker is really well over hundred and hasn't dated yet, it is simple and therefore far less of a passing fad

LittleBonnie Tue 04-Feb-14 18:44:43

I'm glad I asked, seems you're all pretty like minded with me! I do prefer shaker, and we will probably be in this house for the long term so it makes sense to do it to our taste. Homebase seem to have some nice shaker-style kitchens.
Can't believe granite worktops are devaluing houses in California though, don't think that would be the case over here quite yet!!

TheLeftovermonster Tue 04-Feb-14 18:51:15

Doesn't marble absorb oil?
If that's true, I'd keep it well away from cooking/eating areas.

littleredsquirrel Tue 04-Feb-14 19:02:59

Marble etches. It can also stain but shouldn't if sealed properly. honed marble is currently very on trend.

I was too wimpy (and poor) to do marble for the worktops but have used it on our splashback. I tested it by leaving tomato purée, curry sauce, vinegar, red wine and lemon juice on tiles for 48 hours. All etched but none left a stain mark. Apparently those who use marble for their worktops often etch the whole thing as soon as its installed by rubbing the whole thing down with lemon juice.

littleredsquirrel Tue 04-Feb-14 19:04:32

I think with the granite its literally that there are lots of kitchens all looking the same because it has been so popular.

Visit Houzz, there are thousands and thousands of beautiful kitchen photos and you'll see that white shaker is a favourite choice for lots of very expensive kitchens.

littleredsquirrel Tue 04-Feb-14 19:05:34

Steer away from warm tones if you go with granite for the worktops. Cooler tones seem to date less easily.

VoiceoversSoundSmug Tue 04-Feb-14 21:13:36

I was in Ikea today. The salesman I was speaking to said today he sold six of these today www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50205508/#/70221060 my guess is that kitchen will be the avocado bathroom suite of the future.

MissWing Thu 20-Feb-14 20:26:54

Voice- that's very good intelligence!

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 21-Feb-14 08:07:00

of you are looking at long term - then I'd suggest something that's paintable - so you can refresh it every few years ! ...this doesn't necessarily mean an expensive kitchen - the new Ikea version of the Ramsjo, the Laxarby, looks great new - and will be easy to paint in years to come !!

LottieTee Mon 24-Feb-14 22:34:24

Agreed about painted kitchens - it's often the colour that dates the room and if you can repaint then you take away that problem. Has to be well made though, so it lasts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now