Talk

Advanced search

3 people, one bathroom. A 1st wrld problem. I hate that phrase BUT

(9 Posts)
LizLemongrass Tue 04-Feb-14 16:22:07

is that too many people for one bathroom? Sheldon trained Leonard to poo in the evenings! How i wonder?

Can anybody give me a vague ballpark figure for putting loo n sink under stairs?
Ill miss storage but the entire attic is empty. (Hate it up there).

crazykat Tue 04-Feb-14 16:55:24

We have one bathroom between six of us (though ds2 is still in nappies) and its fine. It may get interesting when the DCs hit the teen years but we will just have to cope.

I wouldn't mind a separate toilet downstairs toilet and/or ensuite but we're renting and will be for the foreseeable so its not going to happen.

TunipTheUnconquerable Tue 04-Feb-14 16:58:30

The cost is going to depend on how your plumbing is set up and how far your stairs are from the pipes into the sewer. We looked at having ours done and it would have meant taking up the whole kitchen floor so we'd have had to retile the entire kitchen.

LizLemongrass Tue 04-Feb-14 17:01:31

Wow. Thanks. Crazy n turnip. 6 to one bathroom! I will stop complaining.
None of the houses on this row have had downstairs bathroom put in so that makes me guess it'd b a big job

LondonGirl83 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:05:19

Depends on your plumbing. If you are willing to have a macerator if the plumbing connection isn't straightforward, budget around 2k-2.5k

chemenger Tue 04-Feb-14 17:05:41

We have one bathroom for 4 including 2 teenage girls, it's very occasionally irritating, usually because DH takes for ever in there in the morning.

2plus1 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:08:01

Our house has one bathroom and a toilet under the stairs. It works really well for two adults and three preschoolers. Our waste pipe from the bathroom runs down the wall past the understairs cupboard so convertion to a toilet was very easy, luckily!. The mains water pipe was taken from the kitchen boiler mains supply and run into the understairs cupboard for the loo and sink plus a hot water pipe from the boiler. Took some planning and achievable.

Helpyourself Tue 04-Feb-14 17:12:52

We have been 5 to 1, now 5 to 3. We'd like to reconfigure and would probably keep the third although the space could be more usefully used, for resale. It's silly.

sleepyhead Tue 04-Feb-14 17:18:53

We're one bathroom to four people (although 2 are small). It doesn't bother me. I actively avoided flats with ensuites when we were moving recently because I resented the loss of storage space they inevitably mean.

I think if you have one of the many toilet phobias that often crop up on mumsnet (no strangers in loo, no pooing in certain loos etc etc) then it must be a real issue, however having to hang on for a few minutes because someone's in the shower or already on the loo isn't much of a problem for us thankfully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now