Talk

Advanced search

Are we nuts choosing a leather sofa with young DCs?

(11 Posts)
yakisoba Tue 04-Feb-14 14:11:50

We are hoping to buy this 1970s style sofa
For our 1970s house. We have a lively toddler and hope to have another soon. Is a leather sofa totally unrealistic? It's the aniline, vintagey kind of sofa that I love. I hate the shiny, naff-looking ones. I won't mind if it looks cosy and 'lived in', but maybe not totally-trashed. Hmmm. Any advice?

CMOTDibbler Tue 04-Feb-14 14:13:36

Looks great, and the fab thing with leather is you can wipe everything off

bridgetsmum Tue 04-Feb-14 14:16:24

I like it and I think you'd be crazy NOT to but leather when you have toddlers. Spills, mucky hands can be easily cleaned.

YippeeKiYayMakkaPakka Tue 04-Feb-14 14:16:32

I think leather is good with young kids as it's wipeable. We have a fabric sofa and it's so stained and grubby (sicky babies, grubby hands, pen and crayon marks). Even steam cleaning doesn't get the water marks out.

I guess leather could get scuffed, but a nice leather sofa looks good a bit 'worn' I think. It'd take a lot to trash it completely.

MorrisZapp Tue 04-Feb-14 14:16:57

As opposed to what? I can't think of a more toddler friendly upholstery than leather. We love ours, you just wipe the crap off with a damp cloth.

MissMilbanke Tue 04-Feb-14 14:17:58

You'd be nuts not to choose leather over fabric

ohhifruit Tue 04-Feb-14 14:18:53

We have a similar sofa and it has been wonderful for 3 small (and rowdy) DC. Wipes clean and wears well.

yakisoba Tue 04-Feb-14 14:18:57

Thanks for the quick replies. Now just got to find some great 70's-print cushions! Thanks again!

Thesimplethings Tue 04-Feb-14 14:21:23

I have three and two year old boys and my leather sofa has taken a battering. It's only three years old and marked with scratches and stains. You may be better off with a cheap sofa with removable mashing washable covers.

With the best will in the world it's hard to stop young children from clambering over them with toys in hand. And vomit accidents/spillages will happen.

I'm planning on replacing mine when the children are a bit older...and the carpet...tv unit. I may just buy a new house hmm

Thesimplethings Tue 04-Feb-14 14:22:42

Mashing? Don't know where that came from grin

mycatlikestwiglets Tue 04-Feb-14 18:53:04

I have aniline leather furniture - the beauty of it is that there are natural marks in the surface so toddler marks just add to those! Definitely a practical option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now