Talk

Advanced search

Woodburner without a chimney

(15 Posts)
Iseeall Tue 04-Feb-14 13:00:15

Is it possible to have a wood burner without a chimney.

I understand you can have a gas fire with a flue going through an outside wall, as you would a cooker hood extractor or tumble dryer hose, so would it be possible to have a wood burner installed in a similar way?

I genuinely have no idea, so hope this is not a totally barmy question,

amyboo Tue 04-Feb-14 15:30:55

Yes you can have a wood burner without a chimney. I have some Swedish friends who have one in their house, and my brother has one in his house in Norway. I think the flue has to go straight up though - in both the houses I mentioned, the flue goes straight up from the burner and out through the roof (the Swedish house is 1 storey, and my brother house is upside down, so the lounge is upstairs).

poocatcherchampion Tue 04-Feb-14 19:02:26

yes we are getting one. the showroom we went to had one going out the wall and up - like an ugly metal chimney. grin.

bigbadbarry Tue 04-Feb-14 19:09:20

Yes, we have one. The flue goes straight up for about 150cm then angles and goes out through the wall. We have a mahoosive shiny silver chimney on the outside of the house so if that would worry you you can't do it!

AlpacaLypse Tue 04-Feb-14 19:21:24

Was about to post exactly the same as bigbadbarry smile

StoveMonkey Tue 04-Feb-14 19:59:48

Twin wall flue is what would be required, this can either be run internally up through the rooms & attic above, straight out of the roof. Or they can exit an external wall at 45 degrees then up the outside, rather like a chip shop :-) although you can get them powder coated in nearly any colour to match the surroundings.

cafesociety Tue 04-Feb-14 20:27:29

I have a wood burner in the corner of a room, and the flue goes up through the ceiling, through the attic and out through the roof. I'm in a bungalow so a straightforward job.

Alfiecat Tue 04-Feb-14 22:41:59

We have a wood burner with no big chimney in the room. Ours goes straight outside and then up a metal insulated chimney on the outside of the house. You can only do this on an outside wall.

LEMmingaround Tue 04-Feb-14 22:49:13

Yes but its pricey

Alfiecat Tue 04-Feb-14 22:56:43

You can see a picture of ours on my profile.

poocatcherchampion Wed 05-Feb-14 08:43:35

has anyone any idea how much it might cost? our local showrooms seem somewhat cagey at this stage.

StoveMonkey Wed 05-Feb-14 17:26:38

I usual figure about £5-800 for the chimney parts + the studwork etc required for "boxiing in".

bigbadbarry Wed 05-Feb-14 17:27:42

Our massive shiny double-walled flue thingy was somewhere in the region of £1500, iirc

emark Wed 05-Feb-14 17:35:16

our twin wall insulated external flue in a standard 3 bed semi was almost £2k for all parts, we diy fitted then needs signing off by building regs at council or a heats engineer to install with a certificate

Iseeall Wed 05-Feb-14 18:46:11

Thanks for all the replies.
We are house hunting at the moment and dh is set on a real fire(I suggest wood burner)
Knowing we could install one in a more modern home is great.
Alfiecat your modern wood burner looks fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now