Talk

Advanced search

Renovating a 60s house - Scandanavian style

(14 Posts)
TDR Tue 04-Feb-14 09:35:14

How do we do it? It's a townhouse so all rooms are boxes and of course it has no character but lots of light because of the big windows.

We're doing a total renovation but I don't want it to look like a newly renovated house. We want character and some Scandi chic but how do we do that?

Let's start with flooring.

Just realised that I don't really know where to start...

Footle Tue 04-Feb-14 09:38:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lovesmycake Tue 04-Feb-14 09:44:11

Hello I live in Scandanavia we just renovated a house out here. One thing that all the houses have is a wood burner - that could bring some character?
As for floors I would say wooden? we went for a chocolate brown as we have painted all the walls white including the wood clad walls which made the place look like a sauna

echt Tue 04-Feb-14 10:24:11

I live in a house with a major room that is wood clad, but full of light due to masses of windows and skylights. We decided to keep the wood unpainted. To be fair, we live in Australia, so the light, year round, is fab. Also the windows look onto a sub-tropical garden.

The floors had dying cream carpet we've ripped up to reveal..ta da! More wood. We'll sand, revarnish and put down rugs.

What matters is light. If we lived in the UK, we might consider painting the walls and make it look like a beach hut. As it is, we get so much light we can keep the cedar walls.

Head for the light…grin

Oh, and we're putting in a wood burner.

whereisshe Tue 04-Feb-14 10:29:29

Houzz has lots of ideas, but basically loads of white for the bones of the house, with 60s prints and modernist furniture as accents. Wood flooring is a must, and some lovely rugs.

Pannacotta Tue 04-Feb-14 10:36:30

I would suggest pale or mid coloured wooden flooring, walls in light colours, scandi lighting (table lamps, rise and fall pendants, candle holders, maybe simple fairy lights), a woodburner, simple sofas with sheepskin throws and lots of low, modern (modular?) storage so it looks uncluttered. IKEA Expedit units used horizontally would work well for example.
A lovely trick they use in Scandinavia is to have table lamps on window sills which makes a house look very inviting from outside.

Lots of blogs feature scandi style so have a look and work out what you like...
Sounds great btw!

emmas.blogg.se/
www.pinterest.com/emmasdesign/inspirational/

oif Tue 04-Feb-14 22:06:35

lots of good ideas above...

Elle Decoration also good for inspiration - they always seem to have at least one Danish house featured.

And another lovely scandi interiors blog: blog.fjeldborg.no (and on pinterest at: www.pinterest.com/ingridaw/ )

and [http://www.cloudberryliving.co.uk/default.aspx Cloudberry Living] - nice online shop for scandi bits and bobs and furniture

Kitttty Wed 05-Feb-14 19:00:23

reclaimed wooden floor boards and skirting -- rather than new engineered flooring. Add a strong blue (F&B stiffkey or hague) alongside more faded shades of blues/greys....to combat the white. Scandi homes always have great bones (ie light, flooring, simple painted background) - with some design classics and some folksy/home-spun artifacts. Many homes use classic, quite wild fabrics from joseph frank
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=joseph+frank&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-4nyUu3aF4qu7Aapl4GIBQ&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=677

ladyquinoa Thu 06-Feb-14 06:46:57

There are lots of nice retro Scandinavian textiles and furniture about if you look. Agree neutral light plain walls with interesting cushions, chairs etc.

FairPhyllis Thu 06-Feb-14 09:07:23

This is a tour of a 60s house that has lots of midcentury and Scandi influence: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/beths-london-gem-102268

FairPhyllis Thu 06-Feb-14 09:07:47

Sorry, here's the link again:

www.apartmenttherapy.com/beths-london-gem-102268

TDR Thu 06-Feb-14 21:34:40

Thank you all and great links to read too. Much appreciated.

Pannacotta Thu 06-Feb-14 21:37:43

Have a look here too this is a mid century house in Sweden, lots of good ideas and style tips
www.chezlarsson.com/myblog/the-new-house/

marssparklesdownonme Sat 08-Feb-14 16:02:53

myscandinavianhome.blogspot.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now