Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used dyebrick?

(5 Posts)
snailsontour Mon 03-Feb-14 21:59:15

Bloomin builder has only gone and used bricks on our extension that look like they were chosen by someone colourblind! Agghhhh I could scream.
But, the damage is done, so I'm thinking we have three options:
1) ignore them
2) render them
3) dye them
www.dyebrick.com

I can't do 1, so I'm thinking try 3, with 2 as a last resort.

Anyone?

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 04-Feb-14 09:24:56

3= Best solution ! As long as you only dye the offending bricks, not the whole wall ! Seen it done and it really blended in well !! Fingers crossed for you !

neepsandtatties Tue 04-Feb-14 13:20:31

I used dyebrick, although it was only on a porch, as the brick work was too pale. It's worth a try. It's straightforward to do, take your time and experiment (to see whether a more dilute mixture, built up gradually looks best, or whether stippling with the brush, rather than painting works best). Mine is an old Victorian house, so the bricks are uneven colour anyway both between bricks, and within the same brick. So I tried to replicate that. It looks good, and is not noticably 'painted'.

But don't rush it, and build up gradually!

Pannacotta Tue 04-Feb-14 13:43:27

I have had bricks dyed but paid someone to do it but was pricey.
I would try to dye them but ask the builder to cover the cost and get him to do the actual brick dying too!

snailsontour Wed 05-Feb-14 11:33:04

Yay, it's good to get some positive replies!
I spoke to my builder about dying them and he said it was a waste of time and to just render them - ha, what does he know, a man who doesn't even do email!

The room we've had extended (and will be my new kitchen) was originally flat roofed, with a wall that ran out (deliberately) so that it wasn't parallel to the opposite wall - looks better than it sounds. What we've done is have a pitched roof put on, and extended the wall that 'runs out' and brought it back square to the opposite wall. Hence we have new brick work at the top of the gable wall plus the bit that was extended to bring the wall back parallel. What makes the new bricks look even worse is the builder bought the bricks in two batches so both bits of new brick are different to each other and the old wall! I hope that makes sense!

We will most likely need a few different dyes as our original bricks are multi coloured. What a bloomin nightmare! Happily we have sourced reclaimed roof tiles that match the original - phew.

Good point about builder paying, but I'm not sure I trust him to do the dying - think I'd rather have a go myself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now