Talk

Advanced search

where do I find unusual lenght fence panels like 6ft tall and 9 ft wide

(14 Posts)
yonisareforever Mon 03-Feb-14 21:48:03

anyone know this totally random and irritating thing?

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 03-Feb-14 21:49:40

Jackson's in kent do bespoke fence panels I believe !

Littlefish Mon 03-Feb-14 21:53:34

I've had a search online for you and haven't been able to find any. I suspect this means that they would not be structurally stable due to the width between fence posts.

yonisareforever Mon 03-Feb-14 21:56:48

Bespoke sounds....v expensive.

I have searched too Little and I cant find any, I saw something called feathered fence panel that looks like the same thing out there now...

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

PigletJohn Tue 04-Feb-14 04:48:26

Any timber merchant sells fencing in a self-assembly kit called "pieces of wood"

Some cutting and nailing required.

The size you mention will be more expensive as it will need larger sections. Adding an intermediate post will reduce the section sizes needed.

PigletJohn Tue 04-Feb-14 10:06:09

or you could buy a readymade 6' and a readymade 3' and put in an extra post.

yonisareforever Tue 04-Feb-14 14:25:53

Thanks Piglet, Piglet do you know what feather edge means, i think that is already what is there in situ....

I just want the cheapest thing possible, the fence there already is old but doing it job, my neightbours like brand new and have been hassling me for ages to get a new fence...

my DH doesnt want to do it and I am caught in the middle...

I want the cheapest easiest solution I can find as my DH isnt vry DIY minded.

yonisareforever Tue 04-Feb-14 14:26:23

Does a 3ft wide fence even exist...

Plumpcious Tue 04-Feb-14 16:01:53

Are the featheredge boards horizontal or vertical?

If they're horizontal B&Q stock 2.4m featheredge boards and arris rails. But I think 2.4m is only 8 feet?

If the existing fence is still in good condition can't you just paint it?

yonisareforever Tue 04-Feb-14 16:34:31

plump mentioning painting is like mentioning the war round here at the moment! My neighbours like things to look brand new, no waves or wiggles, I dont care, I paint everything...

they have offered to replace all the fence that belongs to us, with new fence but much higher, therefore more visible AND they said they would not do it, if I wanted to paint it they think the un treated fence panels are beautiful wood. I see them as glaring, ugly orange monstosities..

I dont really want them to do it, I dont mind the existing fence.

so i am thinking about paying for new fence but my DH is adamant he doesn't want to pay for new fence to make it uniform when he thinks the cobbled together old one is OK.

PigletJohn Tue 04-Feb-14 17:55:29

featheredge is boards which are wedge-shaped. Typically about 100mm wide, and about 12mm at the thick edge, tapering to nothing at the other. Except when used as cladding on sheds, they are fixed vertically to horizontal rails between posts to make a fence. A f/e fence is generally sturdier than prefab panels. The boards must not go right down to the ground or they will rot. A gravel board made of concrete (or timber which will rot but can be replaced at intervals) goes between the bottom of the boards and the ground. You will have seen lots of examples.

The oldest featheredge fence I know, with reasonable maintenance, lasted over a hundred years.

Depending what sort of posts you have got, you might be able to put (larger than usual) rails between them and nail featheredge to the rails, or get a woman in to do it for you. Good fences can cost thousands of pounds if you pay someone to do it.

yonisareforever Wed 05-Feb-14 13:35:39

Thanks so much PJ I agree we have been replacing the other type fences for years, but the feather board is still going strong...my DH is going to try and do the work, the feather egde is still going stong and is up and doing its job but neighbours are complaining its seen better days.

OliviaBenson Wed 05-Feb-14 13:56:55

If it's your fence and you don't want to replace it, don't!!

PigletJohn Wed 05-Feb-14 14:47:02

a sound fence can look like new, given a couple of coats of water-based fence stain.

I like the dark brown, but opinions differ.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now