Talk

Advanced search

Can I just say I love my new dehumidifier!

(10 Posts)
Notcontent Sun 02-Feb-14 21:24:43

I live in a Victorian terrace that suffers from a bit of rising and penetrating damp (all stuff that I need to fix when I have the money). On top of that, I noticed recently that I also get a lot of condensation, particularly in my bedroom where I often have clothes drying.

So after much deliberation I bought a dehumidifier a couple of days ago and I am converted. Clothes drying faster, no condensation on windows and the whole house feels less damp and warmer.

TunipTheUnconquerable Sun 02-Feb-14 21:26:21

That's good to know.
What make was it? Was it expensive?

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 02-Feb-14 21:29:07

Yay ! That's good !! But please do try to avoid drying wet things inside your home like that! It causes the air to be heavy with water vapour and can be very bad for your general health !!! Invest in a tumble dryer with a vent hose !

Dromedary Sun 02-Feb-14 21:30:48

Better still, save electricity and hang clothes in garden!

Timeforabiscuit Sun 02-Feb-14 21:47:12

shock

You lot drying clothes outside surely can't be in the uk?? I haven't been properly dry since August!

Congrats on the dehumidifier purchase!

snozzlemaid Sun 02-Feb-14 22:03:09

OnePlanOnHouzz that's exactly what a dehumidifier is getting rid of - the moisture in the air.
I love ours too.

ScentedScandal Sun 02-Feb-14 22:36:39

Which one did you get Notcontent? I'm interested in them atm as my wardrobe feels dampish atm and it's bothering me hugely.

Itmustbeme Mon 03-Feb-14 21:16:13

Oh crickey, please be careful with dehums.

Mine caught fire while my DH was in bed after a night shift and I was out. The automatic switch-off facility didn't cut in.

DH was woken by the dog and couldn't see his hands in front of his face. I got home from work and found 3 fire engines at my home, another 2 on standby at the station.

We had a big industrial fan blowing for days, the carpet had to be replaced and the walls repainted.

The ADT smoke detectors didn't activate as apparently it turns out they are only activated by CO2 omissions.

I do not want to scare you. John Lewis said DeLongi had a good name and that we were just unlucky.

Dromedary Mon 03-Feb-14 23:04:01

We have one too. But I did notice when researching them that some of them have been recalled due to a series of house fires. Several different types/brands.

BeCool Tue 04-Feb-14 12:52:59

shock re house fires!!

I'm loving my dehumidifier too - had it for a few months now.

NB - some people DON'T HAVE gardens, or live in places where there is room to have a tumble dryer!!!!

I initially got the heated Lakeland clothes rack, but quickly sent it back and got a dehumidifier instead - it's been brilliant esp in the winter months when I have the windows open less and clothes dry pretty quickly. In the summer I leave window open 24/7 (1st floor flat) so we don't have so much of an issue with condensation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now