Talk

Advanced search

Earlsdon area of/near Coventry

(46 Posts)
beaglesaresweet Sat 01-Feb-14 21:42:10

just a quick info, pretty much 'yes or no' needed, so does anyone know the area? some really nice houses there near Hearsall Common. Is it better there than Coventry in general, specifically what about crime rates, and is the common a safe place, i.e. no drunks at night there etc. What about shopping facilities - can you avoid (and would you want to) going to Coventry centre? thanks!

commotionintheocean Sat 01-Feb-14 21:46:13

Sorry, can't answer your question, but we're just down the road in Kenilworth and it's lovely, do join us!

JackieBrambles Sat 01-Feb-14 21:48:21

I would say yes! It's a v popular area.

I grew up nearby. You are v close to Cov but there are plenty of shops there so you could avoid town if you wanted to. It's close by to the war memorial park which is nice.

There are quite a few pubs/restaurants in earlsdon. I'm sure you get a few drunks on a sat night!!

JackieBrambles Sat 01-Feb-14 21:49:16

Not sure what hearsall common is like at night though, sorry.

beaglesaresweet Sun 02-Feb-14 00:18:13

ooh, positive responses grin! didn't expect that!
Jackie, so would you personally avoid centre of Cov? and what are the shops (supermarkets?) around there locally? I was asking about the common because some of the houses back on to it - more really a general question about safety of the place..
coomotion, tell me more about Kenilworth please - and what aer the prices comparitively? also how long is the train journey to London? thanks!

JackieBrambles Sun 02-Feb-14 07:50:04

In terms of supermarkets, there is a big Sainsburys about a mile from hearsall common. It's one to drive too but it would literally take 5 mins! Lots of parking - it's on a retail park with a Pizza Hut and I think there's a KFC there too.

In the centre of earlsdon there is a Coop on the high street. The high street is nice, there's all the stuff you need plus cafés. There's a Gregg's too!

I wouldn't avoid the centre of Cov at all, the shops are ok and the cathedral is nice! Trains from Cov to London only take about an hour and 15 or 20 mins if I remember correctly?

My friend lives in kenilworth and it's lovely. My folks are just down the road. No train station there but you can provably drive to Cov station in 15 mins. Or go to Warwick parkway for a train to Marylebone rather than Euston.

JackieBrambles Sun 02-Feb-14 07:51:28

Just noticed I've pointed out all the junk food places, you can see where I spent my youth!

I know the pubs too :-)

Morgause Sun 02-Feb-14 07:52:01

Earlsdon has a real village feel to it with lots going on.

sonlypuppyfat Sun 02-Feb-14 07:55:49

It takes an hour on a virgin train to London from Coventry I think Coventry is an awful dead feeling town and I worked in the city center for 15 years.

beaglesaresweet Sun 02-Feb-14 21:11:35

Jackie, thanks. I meant how long was the train from Kenilworth but obviously no train there - so that's an issue for me. I have looked at the Coventry-Lon times already and that's one of hte reasons it's suitable. Do you mean travel to Warwick from Kenilworth or Coventry for the other train route? If from Cov, how long would that take?
Agree that on google High st in Earlsdon looks quite nice, Morgause. Anything in particular 'going on' there, or did you mean mainly shops/cafes.
I love the big parks from what I can see - not really planning to spend a lot of time in town centre per se, *sonlypupppyfat' - I think Earsdon sounds nice enough to go and have a look, whereas the centre has a bit of history (museum,. castle) which is something at least. But ouot of interest, do you prefer any other towns in that area? I was considering Leicester and Market H, even Derby, but preferred the greenery and amenities of Earlsdon (have you been there?), though out of all only visited MH so far (very dull). At least Coventry is near Warwick and Birmingham for cultural activities/more shops.
It all comes down to the fact that I want a nice Victorian house within reasonable distance of London <a very hard task on my budget>

beaglesaresweet Sun 02-Feb-14 21:13:54

horrid typos again!

Scarletohello Sun 02-Feb-14 21:17:59

Coventry is very cheap compared to London. Earlsdon is definitely the nicest part, great high street with shops, pubs cafes etc. it's not far from the train station either. Coventry isn't the most exciting place in the world but its great for kids, spacious, clean and much less crime than London.

senua Sun 02-Feb-14 21:18:42

If you are thinking about train times to London then I suggest that you do some homework on the HS2, for one point on travel times and for the other point on blight on the proposed route (south of Cov).

darkdays Sun 02-Feb-14 21:26:38

I live in earlsdon,, for coventry it's lovely! There are loads of independent shops/cafes on the high street. On the common there are several fairs/circus' a year though. There is a festival each summer with craft stalls etc.. There is an organic shop and an excellent butchers. Coventry central isn't too bad (ikea) and it is easy to travel elsewhere, very good transport links via car or rail.

beaglesaresweet Sun 02-Feb-14 21:27:27

thanks Scarlet. No comparison to London , I know (I'm not in london now), but also cheaper than so many bigger towns within about an hour commute. So I'm allowing for the fact that it's not the nicest or exciting, as to compensate it does have nice houses and parks. Thanks for info re safety - that was my main concern. Hopefully the drunks that Jackie mentions don't tend to attack pedestrians /spend night on the Hearsall common!

senua, it did cross my mind re hs2 route - do you know how far South? the areas I'm looking are south Cov but close to the centre, hopefull building works won't be that close. Wouldn't it affect Kenilworth more? Do you know if it will actually stop at Cov?

Blueuggboots Sun 02-Feb-14 21:30:42

Earlsdon is great but down side is parking unless you're looking at the bigger houses with drives and garages. The (lovely!) terraced ones are great if you're not bothered about parking your car outside your house.
Finham is nice too, as are parts of Whoberley, Chapelfields and Coundon.
Coventry City centre is ok for shopping but Solihull, leamington and Birmingham are all nearby and better IMO. There's a large Tesco and sainsburys a few minutes drive from Earlsdon.

Blueuggboots Sun 02-Feb-14 21:31:28

(I know Coventry VERY well) grin

darkdays Sun 02-Feb-14 21:32:42

Me too!grin

Scarletohello Sun 02-Feb-14 21:33:56

Ooh do we have enough Coventrians here for a Cov MN meetup?

Or have you all left...?

darkdays Sun 02-Feb-14 21:38:36

I'm still here, really want to leave someday.though!

Scarletohello Sun 02-Feb-14 21:52:31

I grew up in Cov, lived in London for many years, back here now as had elderly dad who needed care. Very strange being back after so long!

SadOldGit Sun 02-Feb-14 22:01:23

ah so many cov peeps - as others have said - other options are also Warwick and Leamington with fast train direct to Marylebone ( some trains are just 66 mins) depends on if you want to live in city or not

Blueuggboots Mon 03-Feb-14 07:45:42

I'm still here!! Work here, live here, occasionally play here!! smile

starfishmummy Mon 03-Feb-14 08:08:37

Waves to darkdays, bluuggboots and scarletohello.

MairzyDoats Mon 03-Feb-14 08:29:52

What about rugby? I'm looking for similar and have seen a couple of nice Victorian properties. Will link later as late for school!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now