Advanced search

Is it legal to offer to pay seller's agent fees? and what about stamp duty contribution?

(10 Posts)
beaglesaresweet Thu 30-Jan-14 00:07:20

Same old story with not wanting to pay stamp of 3% when really the house (in that area of town) is worth 250-260K. It's detached, oterwise similar size houses but semi are on asking price around 230-240 (negotiable normally to less).
Asking price here just over 270 and the agent says the would accept 10-15K less. Just feeling it's sort of unfair to pay 3% on the house that sells for 255-260, while it would be 1% for 250. It's not my perfect house btw, just good enough for now, so not happy to stretch to the max for it.

They've rejected offers of 250 already but I assume there were no such options attached to that.

But it's there and available, and atm the most suitable for me from what'
s available, so I'd much rather pay fees/buy goods in house/get the vendor to pay part of stamp, adding to 7K (I want to pay 260 all in all). Just thinking of coming up with one or more of these suggestions to them.

But I've read on here in past threads that it can be seen as 'dodgy' and can lead to problens for the buyer? Is anyone up to the minute on this info? Thanks!

HaveToWearHeels Thu 30-Jan-14 10:37:55

Very shaking ground really, I can not see any solicitor getting involved in you paying for fixtures and fittings, those days are long gone.
I have also been told the splitting stamp duty is shaky unless, you pay the stamp in full and then they refund you after the sale has gone through.

beaglesaresweet Thu 30-Jan-14 10:46:34

thanks, Have.
I think paying for f&F is usual but not to that level maybe. I'm myself selling stuff (white goods, furniture) to my buyer and this amounts to 5K, but we are not on stamp threshold, i just want to sell for certain price and they were offering 5k less originally. But I think you mean dodgy if on the threshold of higher stamp.
I wouldn't mond your second option, but how to make sure they refund me afterwards?

beaglesaresweet Thu 30-Jan-14 10:46:47


HaveToWearHeels Thu 30-Jan-14 11:47:04

You would need to have it drawn up in the contract, a solicitor would be able to advise.
I don't think F&F is normal anymore. The scenario you are talking about is you selling stuff that you are willing to leave after the price of the house has been agreed. And yes the threshold would raise red flags.

HaveToWearHeels Thu 30-Jan-14 11:52:27

This give you an idea

beaglesaresweet Fri 31-Jan-14 00:16:38

thanks, Have. But presumably no one checks whether the things you bought on paper are there after you move in, plus you can always deliberately overprice what you are selling to get more cash that way (though in case of my buyers it's all underpriced!) - still, probably best to drop the idea. I may want to settle for a semi with no such issue/price comfortably under 250.

HaveToWearHeels Fri 31-Jan-14 09:41:26

I think they are really hot in investigating this now and like I say I doubt you would get a solicitor that would want to get involved.

Frozenatchristmas Fri 31-Jan-14 16:38:58

plus you can always deliberately overprice what you are selling to get more cash that way

NO reputable solicitor will do this,p. the people who check up on these things know every cheating way of avoidance. They are more than aware of the costs of second hand goods.

sh77 Fri 31-Jan-14 16:44:13

HMRC are indeed very hot on investigations, as we found out. They wanted to know how we funded the purchase and had to prove everything. Get some advice before you do anything as HMRC are tough to deal with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now