Talk

Advanced search

New kitchen - second thoughts

(23 Posts)
Girlsbrigadewashorrible Mon 20-Jan-14 22:06:47

We are having a new glossy handless kitchen installed soon. It's too late to change my mind but I am having awful second thoughts about it. Despite giving it a lot of thought and looking at lots of kitchen showrooms, I am now worried that it won't like it. We have spent quite a bit more than we intended and I will be stuck with it for a very long time. Any gloss kitchen owners out there care to give me some positive comments? My ears are closed to anything negative at this late stage!!

DelightedIAm Mon 20-Jan-14 22:54:42

Are you sure it is too late to change it, if you don't like it and it is not installed yet, why can't you change it?

Razzlefrazzle Mon 20-Jan-14 23:05:59

Have had mine for five years now and I still love it. This is despite two grubby fingered dc whose fingerprints do drive me mad. I have a mix of white and black units, the white show marks far less than the black. After trying many cleaners I find windowlene spray and a buff with kitchen towel is a really quick and smear free solution to keeping them looking good. I was very nervous when we ordered ours but as soon as it was fitted I knew it was the right choice. Hope you are pleased with yours when it arrives

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Tue 21-Jan-14 05:22:13

It's due to be installed next week, so can't change it now. I think my reservations at this stage are not about cleaning it but will it look dated very quickly? I know fashions come and go but am worried I have bought a glossy kitchen too late, iykwim. It's a German kitchen and costing a bit more than we planned so maybe I'm just panicking about the money!

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 21-Jan-14 08:48:31

it's an investment in your home ! it will look absolutely stunning !!! it's a modern classic !! it simply sings style and oozes class ! what's not to love ?! if you look at the value of your home and then look at the price paid on your kitchen - my bet is it's less than 10% - but if you had a crappy kitchen you know that estate agents would knock 10% off the asking price immediately! so what you have is a bargain ! AND you get to enjoy it all the time you live there ! even in 10 years it will still be a great selling point !!! so don't stress - de clutter your kitchen this week slowly - book restaurants or get takeaway menu's for next week. - or buy a two ring hob from Argos and devise a menu you can cook on a hob in the lounge ! and when it's all done it will be lovely !!!! :-)

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Tue 21-Jan-14 08:55:16

I've had cream gloss for 6 years, though everyone told me I was mad, that it would be difficult to keep clean, etc. But despite the best efforts of two teenage DDs, a much younger DS and a stinky hairy dog, I've found it to be the most forgiving kitchen i've ever had. I agree with Razzle - a wipe with an e-cloth and some Windowlene (large kitchen, takes 3 minutes max) and it looks gorgeous again, though I honestly only do that about once a month as it rarely really looks grubby.

We're now midway through renovating another house and I'm going to use exactly the same kitchen again, as I honestly have no regrets and don't think it has dated at all.

What colour worktops are you having? I had black granite before but am considering something paler this time. Decisions, decisions ...

Good luck!

ScentedScandal Tue 21-Jan-14 09:01:00

I had a gloss kitchen in our old house and it always looked good and lasted well. When we moved I knew I'd want another one. This time I have a cream one and it's lovely. I know what you mean about having a last minute wobble though. I did too. The problem is that there are so many types to choose from and it's such a big investment that it's hard to settle on something. But I think you should feel confident. If you like a more more modern look then you have gravitated towards it for a reason. I love mine. And I dont thing it will date. Well I guess technically everything will eventually but you are living in the present and if its plain you can change how the room looks from time to time with small touches. Btw although gloss is easy to care for, I always polish mine with microfibre cloths (never tea towels or kitchen paper etc) and use a polish called Vuplex which I buy online. Anything other than a microfibre cloth can leave very faint scratches on the surface.

AwesomeMrsFox Tue 21-Jan-14 09:27:20

We have just done our kitchen and I was exactly the same. It was fine in the end and I love it. You have done your homework and really thought it out, so I'm sure you will be really happy with it when it is in!

Also the other thing that I kept sight of is that having been through the process I can see now it is actually quite easy to change individual elements of the kitchen in isolation. Ie if you really end up not liking the gloss changing the doors is not that expensive in the scheme of things, or you could even just swap a couple for wooden or glass door to soften it if you needed.

Also on the 'gloss' side, I have had gloss in previous and this kitchen and I love it. Very contemporary and clean looking, especially handleless (have also done too this time).

Don't panic!

madamecake Tue 21-Jan-14 09:41:58

I think whichever style you had gone for you would panic, I think it's completely normal when you are going to spend so much money. I was exactly the same with our kitchen and kept doubting every decision from the units to the taps.

I also think gloss kitchens are classic, and will not date for a long time. I'm very jealous, it sounds like it will be beautiful.

ScentedScandal Tue 21-Jan-14 09:47:57

Excellent point made by MrsFox about being able to change elements of it later should you wish. Very true. I'm sure you will love it though. I do see other kitchens I like which are nothing like mine. You will always see other nice ones about but I chose mine because it felt like 'the one' for me.

pinkdelight Tue 21-Jan-14 10:26:00

We had a similar panic when ours was already partly installed. I think it's normal to have that rush of doubts when it's too late to do anything. But once it's all fitted and looking great, you'll get over any worries I'm sure.

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Tue 21-Jan-14 10:31:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dingleinthevillage Tue 21-Jan-14 10:35:14

We have a blue gloss kitchen. When it arrived we were a bit hmm as the colour wasn't quite what we remembered. After about three weeks we took the plastic cover off that no-one had told us about & loved it. blush.

ScentedScandal Tue 21-Jan-14 10:43:06

Lol..I did a similar thing whith the plasticgrin I thought I'd taken it all off but I missed one door and didnt realise it was still covered for weeks. I kept looking at it wondering why it looked so dull.

redcaryellowcar Tue 21-Jan-14 14:51:36

i would replace with gloss if we could afford it as live in new ish house and i have read great at reflecting light around and also easier to clean than shakers or wooden style which have all sorts of grooves to catch bits of kitchen dirt. i can understand the wobble its a big investment, but enjoy it, i'm sure it will be lovely once complete.

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Tue 21-Jan-14 17:37:44

Thank you all for your words of encouragement, very much appreciated. My state of panic has subsided as a result of everyone's comments. I had an awful nights sleep worrying (was on MN at 5.20 am!) I am now feeling much more confident with our choice. Thank you for reminding me that it will look modern as that's exactly what we want. We are both in our late forties and really wanted our new kitchen to have a youthful boost! (Not that I feel old, but didn't want anything too traditional).
We are having silestone eco quartz worktops in a pale cream with speckles and a few sparkly bits (oh dear, something else to worry about!). Cost a bit more than granite but the colour range was more exciting and we were changing from an inherited black granite worktop from the previous owners. We have knocked the wall down between dining room and kitchen and are having an island in between as a room divider. Floor is engineered oak and vinyl in the tiny utility room. As you can probably tell from this post, I am feeling really upbeat just describing. Thank you wise MNers!

redundant Tue 21-Jan-14 18:34:37

i was just the same, awful second thoughts about it dating and being a bit naff, but kitchen now installed and the worktops went on yesterday and it looks really lovely, very classy actually!

ScentedScandal Tue 21-Jan-14 18:45:11

Sounds absolutely gorgeous!smile

kmdesign Tue 21-Jan-14 19:14:27

Gloss never really dates. Speak to your kitchen supplier about the best way to keep it clean. Its a German kitchen. Its a quality product, look after it and it will last for ever.

I am in a rented house right now with a 31 year old German kitchen and it is in mint condition.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Wed 22-Jan-14 10:42:56

It sounds amazing! I think I might well go for a pale worktop this time too.

ghostinthecanvas Wed 22-Jan-14 10:54:29

Sounds lovely. I don't think gloss dates. I think colours date. Don't care though. Despite that, I put a coloured kitchen in. I took out avocado green gloss and put in pale green. DH was a bit hmm at replacing green for green..... smile Had the kitchen not been avocado I would have kept it.
Forever kitchens need to be what you like. If it makes you smile it's the right choice.

nerdgirl72 Wed 22-Jan-14 20:48:55

Am going through similar nerves and doubts, it is just such a big commitment. Ours is coming in the next week or two, also white gloss. Reassuring to hear positive reactions here!

lovingmatleave Fri 21-Mar-14 22:16:23

If you are still here op,how do you like your kitchen.do you find it easy to clean? I'm currently thinking about white gloss for new kitchen, as we have white gloss units in the bathroom which after 8 years still look good,but keep thinking something more traditional might be better for kitchen style.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now