Talk

Advanced search

Anyone move back to London (or Greater London) after moving away?

(53 Posts)
mumtheforgetfulone Wed 08-Jan-14 08:06:06

We've lived in Kent for 10 years now and are only an hour away from London on the train - but I still miss it! I wondered if there's anyone out there who moved away from London (particularly when they had a family) then moved back. Was it a good choice?

Thanks smile

lalalonglegs Wed 08-Jan-14 10:25:14

Friends of mine are in the process of doing this (three children all of school age) - having a larger house and all that didn't compensate for the fact that they are quite bored. I suspect a lot of people would like to move back but find it difficult/impossible because of the differences in property prices once you get away from the capital sad.

ThoraNogson Wed 08-Jan-14 10:57:59

Yes, we are much happier in London and having a much shorter commute. It is very expensive though...

Bumblequeen Wed 08-Jan-14 11:57:39

It is very difficult to move back into London. There are bonuses to living outside London but it is not for everyone.

I know at least two couples who cannot move back in and regret it.

Commuting can be tiring.

LibraryBook Wed 08-Jan-14 16:13:14

What precisely do you miss about London? Where did you live in London before you went to Kent? Where in Kent are you? Kent is very varied. There's posh commuter town Kent, horrible commuter town Kent, peri-SE London Kent, retirement-coastal Kent, down-at-heel coastal Kent, etc.

Are you commuting into London, OP?

I have friends who are heading back into London, their children are off to uni and they work in London and they want to enjoy it for a while.

mumtheforgetfulone Wed 08-Jan-14 18:36:00

Thanks for all the replies.

LibraryBook - I'm probably looking back at my London life with a lot of nostalgia (I lived out in zone 5 not centrally)! I liked London for its vibrancy, diversity and especially enjoyed the art galleries and museums.

We now live in a nice village (lovely community but too quiet for me). Have also lived in Tunbridge Wells which I liked a lot for the time I was there - but I think I might have wanted to move on from there too if I'd stayed.

Our house here is small - so what we would be able to afford in London would be tiny!

I don't commute anymore as I'm self employed. DH does commute so he doesn't want to be in London much at the weekend. I think this is part of the problem!

tethersend Wed 08-Jan-14 18:38:51

I did- I moved to Hertfordshire, where I'd grown up, as soon as I had DD1. We lasted six months and came back grin

mumtheforgetfulone Wed 08-Jan-14 19:00:04

Where did you move back to tethersend?

tethersend Wed 08-Jan-14 19:06:13

Was living in Kentish Town before DD1, then moved back to Bethnal Green. Still here five years later. No regrets AT ALL.

Liara Wed 08-Jan-14 19:28:34

No, I couldn't. We talk about it from time to time, then spend a week in London and realize we could never, ever go back.

Love to visit, but too much of a pain to live in. We are abroad though, not in the UK. Feel a bit the same way about returning to England altogether...

Bowlersarm Wed 08-Jan-14 19:35:41

Oh God, the thought of moving back to London brings me out in a cold sweat. Although I loved our time there when we lived there, it would feel like a step backwards to move back in. Shudder. Couldn't bear it.

Now to answer your OP grin I do know one person who moved funnily enough from Tunbridge Wells back in.

I also have many friends who stayed put and decided not to do the moving out thing at all.

I guess the difficulty in going back is the rise of house prices.

Mintyy Wed 08-Jan-14 19:37:01

Yes. Moved to Devon for two years and moved back again. Was definitely the right thing to do!

soundevenfruity Wed 08-Jan-14 19:41:22

We moved to the South West for DH's job. But we rented, didn't buy so that might've affected my experience because renters are quite low in the village pecking order. I knew it would be hard as it's too quiet for me, I felt quite isolated with a baby. I didn't work as both parents commuting with children under 3 is not doable with no family or friends nearby. There was also nothing that would allow me to fit in: I don't like gardening, I don't ride or play tennis etc. I fully expect DC to love countryside and want to live there but for the time being I need to be where I feel good about and that's London.

unlucky83 Wed 08-Jan-14 20:11:29

With DCs I wouldn't go back if you paid me!
We are in Scotland in a nice small town/village with a community feel - easy reach of Dundee, Edinburgh and St. Andrews -even Glasgow at a pinch...
I think it is perfect for children ...I tell them often how lucky they are live here - usually when we have walked down to the bay and are sitting on a bench or skimming stones looking at the fantastic views...
The countryside is within walking distance or further if we choose, the nearest sandy beach is a 15 min drive away (and we have a selection to choose from within 30 mins).
Schools for DC - a couple of private ones but the local ones are good anyway (One of the private schools boasts 'most of our parents are Doctors and Professors' - which made me laugh as that's also true for the non-fee paying schools here! )
Activities for DCs - within walking distance a sailing club, a tennis club, ballet, jazz, street dance. A 15-20 min drive to ice skating, (dry slope) skiing, rock climbing, indoor and outdoor skateboarding etc (slightly further drive to real skiing!), cinema, art galleries , museums, science centre ...or we can go and see museums etc in Edinburgh and Glasgow...
(and that's a easy 15-20 min drive for 7 miles - yes- we don't really ever get traffic jams ....even in Dundee)
Ok in London you can go to the 'National' museums/theatres - but nothing stopping us taking the train/flying down for a long weekend ...cost of that wouldn't be anywhere near the difference in living costs in London vs here for a month...
We have a house with enough space and a garden - and we don't have well paid jobs ...I'm a SAHM ...
And here we don't have to worry about the company are children are keeping etc
Or crime - one month my old (SW4) postcode had 1500 recorded crimes - current postcode? Zero ..
Maybe when they are adults and have their own lives - but no I fell out of love with London - too dirty, busy, grey....

unlucky83 Wed 08-Jan-14 20:14:14

Oh I forgot horse riding - and the facilities to stable a horse...locally!

lalalonglegs Wed 08-Jan-14 20:40:34

I'm really glad you like living in Scotland unlucky, but the OP was asking for the experiences of people who moved back to London hmm

unlucky83 Wed 08-Jan-14 20:46:29

I was trying to say maybe the OP just hasn't found the right place to live ...which is why she is even thinking of moving back...
I struggled to leave London but now I just couldn't leave where I am - I think it is perfect ...especially for DCs - so maybe I do get too carried away sometimes blush...

TheGreatHunt Wed 08-Jan-14 20:49:41

What's your budget? And commuting requirements?

woodrunner Wed 08-Jan-14 20:53:56

Tethers where you live now is where we lived for years. Moved out because we got scared by a shooting on Roman Road when DC were small. I'd live there again as soon as DC have finished school. Best part of London imho - the parks, canals, flower market, farms, great pubs, galleries, walk to Spitalfields and Brick Lane, but not chichi. Bit envious of you. Glad you like it there.

Bowlersarm Wed 08-Jan-14 20:54:55

.....great advert for Scotland unlucky. I love stories where people have been brave enough to move so far away when they have been happily living in London. And it's hugely successful. I half wish we had been braver when it come to moving out instead of staying in the south east.

lalalonglegs Wed 08-Jan-14 20:59:59

Sorry, unlucky, that came across as snippier than I intended. flowers

mumtheforgetfulone Wed 08-Jan-14 21:38:16

Hi unlucky - I love your post. I should take a leaf out of your book and list the positives rather than looking backwards.

I used to live in Glasgow (and loved it) and I think Edinburgh is stunning. I would love to live where you do or either of these cities.

I do think we haven't found the right place to live yet....but because of DH's work we are tied to the London commuter belt and I do resent that.

LauraBridges Wed 08-Jan-14 21:54:26

I'm in zone 5 where you were originally and it's worked fine. We never did move out or in or anywhere else. There are plenty of newspaper articles about people moving to the country, hating it and moving back and plenty of couples who once the chidlren are grown buy a London flat in zone 1!

mumtheforgetfulone Wed 08-Jan-14 21:56:31

Hi unlucky - just wondered if one of the reasons you liked your location is because you had family nearby....or whether it's just the location itself. I've never felt rooted in one particular place because of this reason, despite having friends nearby.

LibraryBook Wed 08-Jan-14 22:41:25

Is zone 5 even in London? grin

Does your DH like where you live?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: