Talk

Advanced search

Britannia range cooker

(13 Posts)
Apparentlychilled Mon 02-Dec-13 20:40:58

We're thinking of getting a Britannia range cooker so I went to a showroom to look at one. The guy there said that Britannia is about to change (I think by licensing its name to someone else) and that this will mean the quality will go down. Allegedly, the old Britannia was "Britannia by Hills" and it's about to separate out into 2 brands, Britannia and Hills (only the latter of which will have the same quality as the current range). The kitchen supplier (who can also supply cooker) said this is nonsense.

Does anyone know anything about this?

And if so, does anyone have any comments on the Sigma vs the Delphi? Both 150cm.

TIA

coffeeinbed Mon 02-Dec-13 20:42:13

Hell to clean.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 02-Dec-13 21:04:40

Yep, hell to clean. We've got a 120cm Delphi in stainless steel and it shows absofuckinglutely every single thing you drop on it. The iron griddles are heavy and fiddly to clean. Everything else is steel and shows the muck everywhere.

From a distance though it's a beautiful oven. fgrin

Apparentlychilled Mon 02-Dec-13 21:17:33

Sorry, I meant 120cm not 150cm. We've had stainless steel before and I know it's a bit of a pain. But nothing else gives the same kind of industrial look, does it?

Would you recommend it or is there something you'd recommend instead? I had a Rangemaster Toledo before and want something a bit heavier weight this time.

kmdesign Mon 02-Dec-13 21:18:41

Britannia I believe just went into administation and have been rescued by someone. The long term health of the business is suspect. If you must buy a range cooker buy one from Aga group (Rangemaster, Falcon Mercury.

Apparentlychilled Mon 02-Dec-13 21:22:45

Ah, that may explain the inconsistent information I've been given.

Anyone got any recommendations for other dual fuel ranges? Ideally stainless steel and not a Rangemaster Toledo.

Apparentlychilled Tue 03-Dec-13 07:36:32

Bump. Anyone else?

kmdesign Tue 03-Dec-13 08:16:30

Why not consider an electric oven built under a gas hob. Built in appliances are of a far higher quality and performance than range cookers. You have a greater variety of products to choose from as well. Range cookers are typically Italian made and more often than not, pretty poor quality.

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 03-Dec-13 10:26:24

Good idea KMdesign - get self cleaning pyro ovens too ! ( none of the ranges have this feature ) you don't have to get two single ovens - you could go for two built under double ovens - will give you plenty of cooking options this way !

Apparentlychilled Tue 03-Dec-13 12:36:42

Thanks km and one- is it possible to get the same kind of look w built in appliances? I guess my assumption is that built in provides a very different look than a range.

kmdesign Tue 03-Dec-13 20:16:47

I wouldnt personally get built under doubles. They are expensive and pretty pointless, giving you 4 tiny cooking cavities. Get 2 built under single ovens. Siemens do ovens with side hinged doors so you can get a left hinged and right hinged door oven. They are self cleaning too. Top it up with a large gas or induction hob.

If you want to add more design features you can get fluted columns either side of the ovens. A more contemporary kitchen might have two chunky panels flanking the ovens.

Your kitchen designer should be able to help.

juliabaybe2013xx Tue 11-Feb-14 15:15:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

spotty26 Tue 11-Feb-14 17:39:16

Remortgage and get a Le Canche ( or is it la) stunning looking... Sorry to be flippant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now