Advanced search

Buyer's support thread part 2

(1000 Posts)
BogStandardOldWoman Fri 08-Nov-13 21:13:27

Starting a new thread for when we all spill over..

BogStandardOldWoman Fri 22-Nov-13 13:17:25

Congrats OneStep! And I echo what you say about the support - it's been great.

oolaroola Fri 22-Nov-13 16:02:15

We exchanged yesterday!!
Complete in 2 and a half weeks!
Phew. Massive relief but still can't quite believe it.

BogStandardOldWoman Fri 22-Nov-13 16:22:59

Congrats Oola! In for Christmas!

MILdesperandum Fri 22-Nov-13 16:40:12

Jealous of all those completing! Called solicitor today, apparently we are just waiting on confirmation/non-confirmation of a tree preservation order from the local authority for our buyer's solicitor. Hopefully it will materialise soon or the local authority will agree it doesn't exist... feels like we are close anyway!

Now if we could just get an electrician who actually sends us a quote and can do the work we need the week before we complete we might have an almost normal Christmas!

timidviper Fri 22-Nov-13 17:01:57

I'm an imposter really as it is my DS and his girlfriend trying to buy. They saw a nice little house in Tooting, vendor desperate to sell as had a purchase in line, offered on it, rushed through mortgage, survey, etc then vendor said her purchase had fallen through. They have waited months for her to find somewhere else and she has now come back and said she can't find anything she likes in her price range so they are not yet sure if she plans to pull out or push them for more money. Meanwhile the market has gone up while they have waited sad

They saw a nice 2 bed apartment last week and asked the agent about it but sadly (for them anyway, not for the vendor!) it sold at above the asking price in 4 days

If anyone has anything to sell around Tooting let us know! grin

LittlePickleHead Fri 22-Nov-13 20:14:32

Is this for sellers as well? I've started my own thread, but would appreciate a place to come and rant as this has been one of the most stressful things I've ever done! Desperate to complete before Christmas but just don't see how it's going to be possible with the increasing demands from our buyers solicitors.

We are 5 1/2 months down the line and I will be just gutted if the whole thing falls through, we are bursting at the seams with 2 children in a small 2 bed flat and desperate to get into the lovely house we have found

FCEK Fri 22-Nov-13 21:33:32

well our lawyer didn't say much, just not to worry and everything will work out!!!

He seemed surprised that we are all sorted with our mortgage etc. We're just waiting for everyone else! DH reminded him its now only 2 weeks til exchange and we need things to be moving quicker!

kronenborg Fri 22-Nov-13 23:49:42

Exchanged 7 hours ago. Now: very, very drunk grin

BogStandardOldWoman Sat 23-Nov-13 08:39:24

Massive congrats Kronen! How's the head?!
Me and Mr Bog are working through the moving day list today and then a big leaving party at our local tonight. I think there will be tears. We've been here 12 years, brought our DD up, got married, all the big things. Looking forward to the new adventure in Cornwall though!
Good luck to everyone, expect I'll post again from the other side..

NorkyButNice Sat 23-Nov-13 11:12:31

Congratulations all who have exchanged, completed and are moving!

How often do sellers hear from their agents? Only when there is someone who wants to view? Or are they good at keeping in touch when nothing is happening?

kronenborg Sat 23-Nov-13 14:26:34

Yeah, very sore head, but nothing could put a dampener on my mood today! We complete a week on Monday, and will move shortly thereafter, so definitely in well before Christmas.

Funny how these thing really do sit on a knife edge for what feels like eternity, then everything changes in a few minutes.

All the very best to those still going through the pain...I hope things work out as well you all as they have for us.

Now to go back to the fun of letting my kids pick out their new bedrooms smile

busybee2013 Sat 23-Nov-13 15:18:30

kronenborg Congrats! Am sooo J rt now!

I am still in wait and watch situation. EA cannot give the next exchange date yet, after last exchange date was missed and we almost pulled out. My seller is ready for exchange a well, but one group in the chain of 5, is messing with last minute queries on the house at the end of the chain. Apparently there is just 1 document left for clarification. Then why is it so difficult for EA to give an estimate of exchange date?

MILdesperandum, is it possible to visit house for quotation for electric work or other works before exchange? I assume it depends on the willingness of the seller as well?

Any suggestion on what can be done before exchange and during this waiting period? (trying to keep sane and focus on other things)

MILdesperandum Sat 23-Nov-13 16:02:54

busbee yes we've been in twice with electricians still no bloody quote and are hoping to get the work done between exchange and completion - we'll have to sign some solicitor agreed form. This is probably only realistic because we are buying a vacant property and the owner is very nice.

I'm despairing of actually having the electrics done before we move everyone is so buy too busy even to quote. On the plus side the last electrician we took round the house was able to show us the lounge has a (probably original) parquet floor under the carpet!

123rd Mon 25-Nov-13 12:47:03

Argh!!! We got our vendors to agree to our date. Now our buyers are saying if we want them to complete on 13th we need to pay them nearly £500 for costs incurred!!! Ergh, that will be a no !
Why is this so bloody difficult ?

MILdesperandum Mon 25-Nov-13 13:01:17

WTF?!! shock

MILdesperandum Mon 25-Nov-13 13:05:15

123 aren't your buyers cash buyers? So doesn't that mean you are paying the rent they would have to pay anyway if you didn't complete then? Cheeky sods!

WillieWaggledagger Mon 25-Nov-13 13:11:48

123rd what costs precisely? have they told you what they are?

123rd Mon 25-Nov-13 15:49:47

Some rent, council tax etc Also they ordered their funds for their mortgage to be ready for the 29th. So their sol has mentioned that it has to be returned....sorry but we said we would like to complete on the 29-we hadn't exchanged or confirmed dates. Our sellers were no where bear ready to exchange Surely that's their sol fault for ordering the money and now having to return it. I have really have had it with the whole flipping lot today. hmm
What a waste of our time tho if we wait til jan? Nearly two weeks off work sitting around here when we could be decorating / sorting stuff in the new house. It isn't the actual money that annoys me the most it is just the complete waste of time.
I had thought oh well sod it lets just enjoy Xmas here...but we won't. It will surrounded by boxes not being able to relax as we will be pursed to move on the 3rd. It's a complete joke

MILdesperandum Mon 25-Nov-13 16:38:29

That's really crap 123rd sad council tax they would have to pay for whichever property they're in. Rent (I'm guessing they will have to pay an extra month) well if you don't complete/chain breaks they will be paying rent for a lot longer and losing the money they've paid out. And yes it's their problem that the funds were ordered too early - not yours!

carlajean Mon 25-Nov-13 17:16:54

Can I come on for a bit of hand-holding?

We saw a house loved a month or so ago, had an offer accepted. Spent a crazy month getting our place ready to sell, and have got two offers, including a cash one. BUT we now find out that the person the vendor is buying off hasn't had an offer accepted on a new place yet. The ea suggests that we delay our buyers, but all our efforts have been directed towards a quick sale. So, what would you all do? Do as the ea suggests, or sell and rent until things move at the vendors end?
In addition, we don't want to move if we get that house.

WillieWaggledagger Mon 25-Nov-13 18:07:52

pfff we had a two-month rolling contract, so if the letting agents don't find new tenants we are responsible for the rental house until mid-january... not our seller's fault that we were too cautious to hand in notice before we'd exchanged contracts. we're also responsible for two lots of council tax and utilities for that time - it's part of the cost of moving and we have budgeted accordingly! (and we may be able to claim council tax back as it will be unoccupied)

daft that they ordered funds before final agreement on completion date

123rd Mon 25-Nov-13 18:27:04

Hi Carla, has anyone asked the people at the top of the chain if they are anywhere near finding a new place ? I think most people realise that the whole chain has to be in place before things can move onward.
Thanks for the replies everyone. How far do we push? Such a horrible situation. I know we will lose about £2 grand if we do pull out but I think they should have been thinking about this too. They are only on a rolling 30 day rental. And sold their house to an investor -who they are now renting it back from!

OneStepCloserIWillExterminate Mon 25-Nov-13 18:42:31

Oh 123 thats awful, but its their solicitors at fault, they should never have ordered the money before the exchange, idiots. I think we would push and say we`re pulling out, but then Im bloody rash so maybe dont listen to me! Wil keep fingers crossed for you.

MILdesperandum Mon 25-Nov-13 18:50:39

I'd be very tempted to call their bluff, why should you have to pay for their foolishness? - realistically what are their options otherwise? They've already sold/are having to rent so waiting or trying to find a new house won't help.

It would grate on me to think I had paid for things I shouldn't have to... but them I'm not in your position and I can see if there is a house/substantial amounts of money on the line you might just pay out....

Carla I don't think I could sell and move into rented whilst waiting for your dream house to be ready to progress... tricky one

123rd Mon 25-Nov-13 20:30:31

I think we are going to sit it out. MyDh is saying that we are holding all the cards. We have the house that the buyers want....and the cash that our seller wants...( I also have a permanent headache hmm) so I guess we wait and see who gets in contact first
How are things with everyone else? Last week there were lots of talk of exchange and completion dates flying around. Any updates ?

This thread is not accepting new messages.