Talk

Advanced search

self managed block of flats - who pays for what repairs?

(8 Posts)
apismalifica Sun 20-Oct-13 22:26:24

I'm one of 6 directors and we own the freehold of the block where I have just bought a flat. There seem to be complex rules about who pays for what repairs and maintenance confusedbut nobody seems to have anything in writing about it. Where can I find this out? Hope some of you clever people can advise me

chattychattyboomba Sun 20-Oct-13 22:34:59

My husband does property management as part of his job. Sorry can't think of any references to give you but I can say that anything to do with maintenance and upkeep is paid for by the freeholders. Anything such as damage caused by tenant or if the tenant decides they want grey carpet instead of cream- they still have to run by you but that is their expense. If a boiler breaks- that's you....doorknob falls off ( assuming it's reasonable wear and tear) that's you... Oven needs replacing...you...etc etc etc. it's expensive being a freeholder. Some would say not worth the trouble.

lalalonglegs Sun 20-Oct-13 22:43:26

Your leases should state who pays for what. Generally, if the fabric of the building needs maintaining, then everyone pays a % of it (% stated in the lease but assuming that the flats are all roughly similar, it is likely to be an equal share). So, although the leaking roof won't affect the tenants on the ground floor, they still contribute. If it's something like wiring needing replacing in an individual flat, then the leaseholder pays.

I disagree with chatty - I don't think that boilers, ovens etc are covered by the freeholder at all.

GrandPoohBah Sun 20-Oct-13 22:46:11

I do this for a living.

Check your lease, it should have the answer.

Short answer is: anything inside the front door of the flat and anything which serves only that flat is the owner's responsibility.

The fabric, structure and the common areas are the management company's responsibility.

The leasehold advisory service has a good website, I think it's www.lease-advice.org.

GrandPoohBah Sun 20-Oct-13 22:49:15

I think Chatty is confusing tenancy management with block management?

Yes, the lease should have individual % apportionments. I would STRONGLY recommend that you read up on 'Section 20' legislation if you're self managing.

ErmagherdPerngwens Sun 20-Oct-13 22:51:55

Does everyone in the block own the freehold? Or just some of you?

When I lived in a flat with a shared freehold, all flats owned an equal share. We paid £10 a month 'ground rent', which paid for buildings insurance and small maintenance jobs, when the account built up a surplus we'd decide to eg re-carpet the hall.

However there were only 3 flats so it was never complicated, no large repairs or unexpected bills came up while I was there, but they would have been split equally 3 ways if they had.

chattychattyboomba Mon 21-Oct-13 00:22:47

Sorry I misunderstood.

apismalifica Sun 30-Mar-14 20:51:35

Thaaaks all! I aam in the process of getting copies of the rest of the leases. It says who pays for waht and about what you can and can't do (eg who canput a TV arieal on the roof) and this is not actually what people have assumed lol so lots to think about. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now