Talk

Advanced search

Trundle bed/guest bed. Where to buy.

(21 Posts)
preggersbycheggers Fri 11-Oct-13 15:22:56

Does anyone have a trundle bed like this

m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-riley-guest-bed/p311175?colour=Oak&un_jtt_v_pdp=yes&un_jtt_v_from_product=un_product_9

I like this one a lot but it's out of stock and quite a lot of cash.

Anyone got anything similar that they can recommend. The single bed is for everyday use by my 2 year old son and when we have visitors we will put him in his ready bed and visitors on the bed pulled out to make a double/king.

WillColbert Fri 11-Oct-13 15:41:02

I have a very similar version of this bed from John Lewis about 4 or 5 years ago and would really recommend it. It might be a bit high for a 2 year old though - my DS was 7 when I got it and I can see he will be able to use it for a good few years yet. If you do get it when it's back in stock be aware it's not easy to assemble. I'm usually fine with putting furniture together but I paid someone to do this.
Sorry - I know you wanted to hear suggestions for alternatives but I've not seen one as good. I gulped at the price too (think I paid around £500) but it has served me well.

Slainte Fri 11-Oct-13 15:50:19

I bought one very similar to this for my 2 year old and it's perfect. I've put a bed rail on it and I leave the bottom bed out slightly for climbing up into bed purposes.

It's also been really handy when DD's been ill as I've slept in the trundle bed so didn't miss much sleep but was able to comfort and look after her when necessary.

I paid £500 including mattresses for mine. I thoroughly recommend it though I bought it from a local retailer so can't advice you where to buy one from.

spotty26 Fri 11-Oct-13 17:36:18

We have one from Marks and Spencer in a 50% sale and it was perfect for a little box room guest bed pre kids. Then my son had it. He was 4. There was one incident where he fell out in the night and the trundle part was not fully underneath. That involved a midnight visit to a and e and some glue. Beware of it being fully pushed under but other than that no complaints.

Featherbag Fri 11-Oct-13 17:42:07

We got ours from ikea, it's a day bed (Hemnes I think?) and our 2-year old loves it! We've had 2 sets of guests use it as a king size recently and they've all said how comfortable it was. When DS and his not-quite-born-yet little brother are big enough we plan on getting bunk beds and putting this one in the spare room but with cushions to turn it into a sofa, the boys can use it as a play room when no-one is visiting. Think it cost about £380 including mattresses, and it has 3 huge storage drawers under it.

wonkylegs Fri 11-Oct-13 17:52:12

Bensons have this one which I saw in the shop and was ok quality. We didn't want the underpart so went elsewhere.
Or theres this one from dreams
both are cheaper but require mattresses so would probably be a similar price to JL

wonkylegs Fri 11-Oct-13 17:53:47

Ooo this one from Barker & Stonehouse has mattresses Inc AND is in the sale ATM however might require you to live in the NE.

wonkylegs Fri 11-Oct-13 17:54:37

Although it says you can buy online on my phone I can't see how.

RIZZ0 Fri 11-Oct-13 18:01:06

Hi, try Aspace. I got two truckle beds (Oundle) very similar to that, the New England style is also nice. Bit cheaper, but better still they also have Clearance and Seconds sections. Bought my beds from seconds, much cheaper, and I still haven't found the alleged imperfections they had.

AloePickle Fri 11-Oct-13 18:05:21

We have one from M&S bought about 6 years ago. We got 20% off in the sale and it included the mattresses for under £300. It's been fantastic for our DD who has been in it since 2yo but it's no longer on the website and although there are similar ones the reviews suggest the quality might not be as good now.

PigletJohn Fri 11-Oct-13 18:16:07

used to have one, they are not widely sold so not much chance of a discount store having them.

The underneath mattress was slightly shorter so it would fit

handy for a guest room, IMO a bit extravagant for a 2YO

Was called a Truckle bed.

fresh Fri 11-Oct-13 18:28:54

Try here. Painted MDF but there's a choice of colours. Have dealt with Dormy House a bit over the last few years, good service.

preggersbycheggers Fri 11-Oct-13 20:41:08

Wow. Thank you so much. I know it may seem extravagant for a 2 year old but the pull out bed will be used fairly frequently at times when I'm back at work as I work overseas and I need a comfortable bed for my mother in law to sleep on.

I love the Barker and Stone house one. I have never heard of them. Are they a good company? Will also keep an eye out for the sales at M&S and Aspace.

Many thanks again for all the tips.

RandomMess Fri 11-Oct-13 20:47:05

Check out sales local to you on ebay, I've seen plenty of top quality ones for sale 2nd hand on ebay near us.

wonkylegs Fri 11-Oct-13 21:07:36

Barker and Stonehouse are ok. The quality is ok probably on par with JL.
They are a North East chain of high end ish furniture stores. Our oak kingsized bed is from there. It's 10yrs old, I was disappointed that the side panels were veneered at its astronomical price but it's held up ok otherwise.

fishesgirl Sat 12-Oct-13 06:34:13

We've got one of the JL Savoy beds, was important to us that we had the flexibility to be able to use it as a double. Found lots of the truckle beds had no legs (including M&S as I recall) so can only be used as 2 singles.

Lagoonablue Sat 12-Oct-13 17:22:14

We got a cheap from Argos. Was fine.

pippop1 Sat 12-Oct-13 17:25:40

Marks and Spencers do them I believe. Similar quality to JL. Look for offers on furniture which they often have.

pippop1 Sat 12-Oct-13 17:28:37

M & S do one called Hastings which is cheaper and currently have an offer if you buy two matresses from them.

InsertUsernameHere Sun 13-Oct-13 08:47:48

We have a Relyon Storabed from Land of Beds www.landofbeds.co.uk/guest-beds#!2 they seem to have lots of others to. (Relyon is a good make according to my MIL) We are happy with the bed, but I agree with the above that they are a quite high!! Land of Beds were really pleasant and helpful (I'd not used them before - but knew which bed I wanted and they were cheapest)

Nicelynicely Wed 13-Apr-16 15:00:32

got to say be careful. We bought from World of Beds and the trundle bed's legs have broken because the wood is so dry, and the screws for the springs for the same reason sprang out of the wood. Very disappointed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now