Talk

Advanced search

Is Southport a nice place to live?

(16 Posts)
Cantdance Sun 06-Oct-13 17:24:43

I work in Liverpool and DH has an interview for a job in Blackpool. We're thinking Southport might be the best place for us as its in between the two? But we don't know it very well beyond the seafront and Lord Street which are both fun but a little tacky to be honest.

We most enjoy cycling, running and hiking in the countryside. We worry that southport is so full of golf courses there won't be enough open spaces for regular non golfers. Is the beach nice? Any particular neighbourhood recommendations? Thanks to anyone with any advice and opinions to offer!

treesntrees Sun 06-Oct-13 22:56:27

the beach is great but I have never seen the sea on my visits there it is so far out. From the bus while travelling to Liverpool the housing looks fine but think it might be pricey. I think it would be a good cycling area.
These are just my thoughts as a visitor hope some dwellers answer.

Rockdoctor Mon 07-Oct-13 07:00:16

I like it. If you want to see the sea, you just have to drive to Formby or Ainsdale. My children visit quite often and love the parks as well as the beach. My DH is a keen cyclist and loves it. I've never bothered with the golf - there are plenty of other open spaces. My memory of it is as quite an "elderly" town, and that has much more impact that the golfers. My only quibble is with the transport links - it always seems to take an age to get to the motorway and I really wouldn't recommend driving from Southport to Blackpool daily. Have you looked at Lytham? That would be my choice - although more expensive than Southport.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 07-Oct-13 07:04:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rockdoctor Mon 07-Oct-13 09:05:39

Agree with BeerTricks, Churchtown is lovely - parks, pub, village - and the right end of Southport for commuting to Blackpool.

Sorry, I didn't read the OP properly - if you are still needing to commute to Liverpool then forget Lytham.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 07-Oct-13 16:01:32

Inclusionist Mon 07-Oct-13 16:56:24

I grew up in Southport and my parents are still there.

TBH they've been really trying to update it but it just isn't going that well and even the brand new bits look a bit tatty shabby chic. They built a big art deco style hotel on the prom a couple of years back which should be the flagship, but it still seems to be empty hmm. It does have a kind of charm but it is definitely not sophisticated in any way.

If I was going to move back there I would buy a big victorian pile in the area of the old hospital (which is flats now) that I could walk to the sea from. Ideally one I could see the sea from!

Have you looked at Formby and Crosby? Pricier but less tatty.

Inclusionist Mon 07-Oct-13 17:03:42

See, to my southernified eyes things like this look like the biggest bargain ever!!!

BeerTricksPotter Mon 07-Oct-13 17:13:22

Layl77 Mon 07-Oct-13 17:20:55

Birkdale is lovely, depends how much you have to spend really. Schools are good and nice area beautiful parks. Right by the (nice) beach.

Cantdance Mon 07-Oct-13 19:39:39

Thanks, all. Is commuting from southport to blackpool really as bad as all that? I will check out the area around the old hospital. Unfortunately yes I still have to commute to Liverpool. If it weren't for DH needing to get to Blackpool then formby would be our choice.

Abzs Mon 07-Oct-13 19:45:01

I grew up in Scarisbrick, just over the border into Lancashire. My dad commuted to Lytham for a while - it was a long day for him as I recall. You might be better looking closer to the motorways for access both north and south. I've plenty of friends who live in the area between Ormskirk and Leyland and commute in both directions.

If you've DCs, check your school catchments - some of the Southport schools are single sex.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 07-Oct-13 19:50:12

jonicomelately Mon 07-Oct-13 19:54:29

Ormskirk would be better as you'll have good access to the M6.

Rockdoctor Tue 08-Oct-13 11:47:45

Inclusionist is right, although I thought the new pier development was OK and the Premier Inn (?) seems popular.

The old hospital development is nice, although when I looked at the show flats the decor seemed a bit wannabe WAG for my taste (actually, there's quite a bit of wannabe WAG in Southport wink, that and the over-60s tea shop set reminiscing about the town's glory days). Anyway, the only downside of the old hospital in my mind would be proximity to the town centre and the large number of B&Bs. Personally, I'd look around Hesketh Park - a bit further out from the centre, but still the right side for a Blackpool commute if that is really viable.

As others have said, driving to Blackpool each day is going to be a pain, so you might want to look nearer the motorway network - Ormskirk, Parbold, etc.

awilliams123 Thu 25-May-17 17:33:02

Think I'm a bit late to the message but would like to add a few comments. We have recently moved to Southport and live in the Birkdale area. We moved up from Southampton and everyone I know asks us why!? Well, our oldest daughter is starting school in September so we wanted to move prior to her starting and I had lived in Southampton all my life so felt trapped and claustrophobic. We could choose to live anywhere in the country as I work from home and travel nationally. So why did we choose Southport? It's very flat and both me and my partner love cycling, but not going up hills! It appears to be very sunny a fair amount of the time. It's not too busy with traffic. You can drive into the town centre at most times of the day and not really hit traffic. When it is a glorious day the traffic on the weekend does get a little busy but only on the main roads. Everything you need is within walking distance. Southport and surrounding areas seem to have retained many of their high streets and local shops, Birkdale village is lovely. Everyone seems to be really friendly and cheerful. We were conscious at first when we were exploring the area that we may have just been focussing on the positives and thinking that everyone was much friendlier, but after living here for 6 months it is definitely true! The houses are more affordable and you basically get more at every budget. We can also walk down to the beach - yes the sea is generally always a long way out, but for a place to walk and explore its great. Everyone will have their own views, but I generally love it and wouldn't move back down south even if you paid me. Hope this is useful to someone! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now