Talk

Advanced search

Places to live between Lichfield and Birmingham on a tight budget?

(22 Posts)
Kaida Thu 26-Sep-13 21:00:47

DH and I are torn between two places in the country, one with his family and one with mine, and although we know near his family has places that tick our boxes, we need to know if near mine is a possibility too.

My family are all in NE Birmingham (Erdington and surrounding areas) and I'd like to be within half an hour of them. But I'd like a village-y/rural location with a town centre nearby (again, half hour max, preferably less), and love Lichfield. Biggest problem is budget - £145k is our maximum. We're very happy to take on a project, and will be fine with 'next to a train line' or similar things that lower value.

Priorities are a safe area, and we'd need as much outside space as possible for our money. We're able to get a detatched in the area near DH's family for our budget, so I'm not sure if we'd compromise on that to live near mine IYSWIM.

Are there any safe villages or even suburbs with plenty of green space that we'd get a detatched for £145k within 30mins of both Lichfield and Erdington?

bsc Fri 27-Sep-13 22:09:39

Tamworth? (not sure on prices though tbh, seems cheaper than Bham)

Tabby1963 Fri 27-Sep-13 22:13:46

Or Fazeley, about 2 miles from Tamworth. We lived there nearly 20 years ago. Daughter and son born there. Lovely place, next door to Drayton Manor Theme Park (Thomasland).

Kaida Wed 02-Oct-13 11:59:59

Tamworth might be worth looking into, my Mom has some family there. I'll get her to ask them which bits are okay and which aren't. I'm scared of moving and finding afterwards it's a rubbish area and needing to try and find funds etc to move again.

Thanks for the recommendation on Fazeley, will have a look.

yetanotherstatistic Fri 04-Oct-13 21:51:09

East of Lichfield that wouldn't buy much. Tamworth would be cheaper. Perhaps Burntwood?

MummytoMog Fri 04-Oct-13 21:56:19

Do not live in fucking Tamworth. Do. Not. There is a reason it's cheap.

Actually there are some nice bits. But they're not cheap, so no real advantage. I love Lichfield too though, wish we had lived there and not in the arsepit of the world.

Retrofairy Fri 04-Oct-13 22:08:35

'Are there any safe villages or even suburbs with plenty of green space that we'd get a detatched for £145k within 30mins of both Lichfield and Erdington?'

I think that's a big ask. Its highly unlikely that all those things are possible (if it was I would have be moving in there smile) I think any detached in that budget might not be in a great area.

How about this in Lichfield - nice inside:

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40563103.html

Or this detached:

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37685476.html

Second Mog saying Tamworth is a complete dive!

Kaida Tue 08-Oct-13 13:32:39

Have discussed with DH and detached we can compromise on.

Why is it cheap, though MummytoMog? Crime? Lack of facilities? Just a bit soulless and un-picturesque? We found some areas that were safe and well-placed for DH's family but were affordable due to being a bit soulless and boring, but that's fine with me, I don't need picturesque. I'm hoping we can find similar options near my family, or I'm doomed to barely see my family forevermore - DH's family can travel, mine often can't.

I know it's a big ask, Retrofairy, I'm just desperately hoping that the fact we're willing to accept tons of work needing doing and things like next to a trainline or busy road might mean that we can afford the odd property in an otherwise unaffordable area IYSWIM. Why do you say Tamworth's a dive?

Thanks for the links, I'll show DH.

My uncle listed the following as safe areas:
Dosthill
Two Gates
Polesworth
Hurley
Wilnecote
Shuttington
Wood End
Abbotsgate
Amington
Fazeley
Kettlebrook
Kingsbury

Any corrections or comments on those?

It doesn't need to be naice, just safe enough that I'm not worried about going out of the front door or letting the kids go to the corner shop, with a decent garden and somewhere to walk the dogs.

Thank you both.

Kaida Tue 08-Oct-13 13:33:14

Are there any bits of Lichfield to be avoided, do you know?

Kazmanc46 Tue 16-May-17 12:28:18

I'm.from Manchester orginall you, moved to tamworth 6 years ago.

I love in stonydelph private house my partners as moved here as he is from Tamworth.

Being from a village near the biggest shopping centre in the north west (the trafford centre) I hate tamworth.

Bad things

For me there are no jobs especially in office admin my field.
Too many eu residents the town is like Poland.
No shops ..ie superdrug now closed. Only decent food outlets on ventura which is 2 bus rides away for me.
Public transport is dire arriva serve the routes and are poor.
Train to Birmingham derby and Notts constantly delayed full and not enough carriages.
No decent pubs or restaurantserving have to travel to lovely Lichfield or Sutton or birmingham.

The only thing I like Is that tamworth does have greengrocers and butchers which we never had in trafford.
I'd move to Lichfield if I was you or outskirts.

The crime rate in Tamworth is terrible we had our motorcross stolen from our garage the other week by local chavs no doubt it's rife around here.

I'm thinking of moving back to Manchester as we are spoilt for everything there.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 16-May-17 12:32:38

Kingsbury will be more than your budget unfortunately.

Deploycharitygoats Tue 16-May-17 12:48:10

Terraced, but there's a 3 bed in Aldridge in budget. Short walk to woods and nature reserves too

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59098351.html

anonymice Tue 16-May-17 12:51:34

aldridge is not the most ahem dynamic town on the planet, sadly.....

Deploycharitygoats Tue 16-May-17 12:55:27

That's true! But the dog walking and outdoor opportunities are good, quick drives to Walsall (and quick drive out wink), Erdington and Lichfield, there are decent enough schools and it's not dodgy. It could be worse.

anonymice Tue 16-May-17 12:56:19

it could be so much worse grin. It has a mini real ale pub AND a Morrisons. And there's lots of nice open space.

MadisonAvenue Tue 16-May-17 13:04:21

Pelsall? Can't think of many nice village locations where you'd find something detached within your budget.

There's this semi
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53730812.html

Bearbehind Tue 16-May-17 13:05:13

Zombie thread alert!

MadisonAvenue Tue 16-May-17 13:06:48

Bloody hell...just clicked on one of the links above and the house was sold.

Then looked at how old this thread is.

OdinsLoveChild Tue 16-May-17 13:11:53

Kaida avoid The Dimbles in Lichfield but on your budget that's possibly the only place you could afford.

Maybe Whittington? Its in between Lichfield and Tamworth and the old village is really lovely. Your budget could get you a nice house in one of the old Army houses.

Burntwood/Chase Town you might pick up a decent house in your budget.

The only other place to get a nice house in the Lichfield area in your budget is Rugeley but that's 15 minutes west of Lichfield and can be really dodgy. Its unfriendly at the best of times but theres some lovely big houses for your budget. It takes me 30 minutes to get to Sutton Coldfield from Armitage/Rugeley area.

Have you considered Atherstone/Hartshill/Nuneaton areas?

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 16-May-17 13:12:56

Doh why didn't I look at the date hmm

OdinsLoveChild Tue 16-May-17 13:12:57

Someone will read it eventually......I found a recent zombie thread really useful.

Deploycharitygoats Tue 16-May-17 13:22:31

Sorry blush

But Aldridge DOES have a Morrisons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now