Talk

Advanced search

Hanworth area

(18 Posts)
PatPig Thu 19-Sep-13 16:21:59

DS has a place at Hampton School starting September 2015.

We currently live in Surrey, and there is a school bus, but it seems like a bit of PITA in terms of a daily commute

On the other hand, the area around the school seems to vary from dreary (Hanworth itself), to absolute shithole (Feltham), to ludicrously expensive (Hampton Court direction).

Any thoughts of a nice place to live in the area where you could get a nice detached family house for £600k or less?

worrybynature Thu 19-Sep-13 19:06:36

Hanworth is as much of a shit hole as feltham. Have you looked in Hampton? You won't get detached for your budget but you would get something nice.

PatPig Thu 19-Sep-13 19:26:24

We haven't looked anywhere tbh. We are just in the situation that we now have a nice detached 4-bed house for £1550/month (rent), but we have been here six years and getting fed up with it.

We can buy where we are now, but it's nearly 20 miles from the school, and that's likely to be prove increasingly inconvenient.

Do you have any rightmove links for what you could get? Maybe live in Molesey?

worrybynature Fri 20-Sep-13 07:57:51

The journey from molesey to Hampton school is not a good one in rush hour. The Hampton court area is a nightmare in traffic. If I were you I would look for property in Hampton hill, Hampton, and lower sunbury. Will link later

Hobbes8 Fri 20-Sep-13 13:34:11

Hanworth is shitter than Feltham, and with less escape routes. £600k sounds do-able in Hampton to me, or have you tried Whitton?

jennycoast Fri 20-Sep-13 13:47:04

Crossing the river at that time of day is nigh on impossible. There are lots of lovely cheap houses over there, but no good for someone trying to get to Hampton. There are lots of nice houses in Hampton Hill, or Hampton village, though not many detached. Whitton is definitely cheaper, and people who live there seem to like it. It might make sense to look at where the school buses come from/pass though, and take it from there.

PatPig Fri 20-Sep-13 13:49:39

There have buses coming out of every orifice, so to speak.

www.lehs.org.uk/Transport_34/Coach_Routes_Map_52.php

Better to have the option to use public transport though if need be.

MrMayoNessie Sat 21-Sep-13 10:22:31

Have you maybe thought about Isleworth or Osterley about 4.5 miles from Hanworth and there are also buses to there and handy for Piccadilly Line to central London!!

don3663 Sun 22-Sep-13 14:13:14

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

JetJungle Sun 22-Sep-13 20:41:05

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

rubyflipper Sun 22-Sep-13 20:49:13

Wow. biscuit shock

JetJungle Sun 22-Sep-13 20:50:58

actually instead of engaging with the racist, I have just reported.

MrMayoNessie Sun 22-Sep-13 20:54:29

Totally agree Jet, gotta say as well the Bangladeshi, Indian and polish people who I've met (when living in Hounslow) were nothing but lovely. Many helpful neighbours. Granted that was 5 years ago but cant still can't fault them.

JetJungle Mon 23-Sep-13 10:02:33

What about Twickenham?

My DS rides to Hampton School from our house in Twichenham. It takes about 15 minutes each way.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27152451.html

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42341999.html

ClaudiaCutie Tue 24-Sep-13 06:44:54

Pat, agree what everyone else has said re Hanworth et al. It's dreary and horrid. However the TW2 (Twickenham / Whitton) and Hampton (TW12) postcodes are in huge demand and pricing is increasing monthly - I kid you not. The area is overheated and it's a complete sellers market. There are also very, very few detached houses. As demonstrated in the links above, £600k will only buy you a semi on an extremely busy road in Twickenham. instead Try TW16 but only look at Lower Sunbury - south of the A308. Great access to Hampton, plenty of detached houses and without the frantic craziness of the market that's pushing up prices in TW2/TW12. There is also less aircraft noise, and less impact from the bloody rugby traffic in TW16.

As a chain free buyer you're in a great situation.

HarderToKidnap Tue 24-Sep-13 09:39:14

I used to knock around a lot with Hampton boys and they seemed to be clustered a bit more west - egham, englefield green, sunningdale, ascot, Virginia water and Windsor way. No idea what the commute was like but they all did it every day!

mrstiggiwinkles Sun 09-Feb-14 16:18:19

Oh dear, another misinformed set of posts from the Hanworth-bashing snootymums! Original poster: PLEASE do not listen to these ill-informed posts, Hampton is a great place to live and your son will thank you for an easier walk to school while his mates are stuck on exhausting and expensive coaches. Hampton school is located on HANWORTH Road. No, there aren't many mortgage-gobbling detached houses there, but there are some stunning semis and the potential to make a very nice and affordable home. For what you'd save in a house purchase in Hampton borders, you could afford to work part time rather than full time. Bigger gardens, excellent transport, lovely local parks....have a look at Buckingham Road, some of the Victorian terraces in Swan Road (Hampton end) and the better end terrace extensions in the housing off Hampton Lane. Council; tax is much lower as the borough shifts into Hounslow along the same road...it's the same road. Feltham really doesn't 'start' until Uxbridge Road which is much further away, but, again, the area is not deserving of its reputation. If it is a concern, do not rule out Hampton borders...Hanworth is an up[ and coming and very safe area...i should know, and I see things from both the school and the local side...oh and actually know all the areas covered in the posts. The amount of snobbery and ignorance over these areas shock me...,have any of these posters even lived in Hanworth? There are houses ranging from 1890s to 2014 extension conversions. Chavvy s***hole? I think not.

anelhams Fri 03-Jul-15 16:25:24

I agree, the part of Haworth on Hampton side of the A316 is lovely,(and even the other side is alright) all the benefits of living in Hampton but with more parking, bigger gardens and cheaper council tax. The Alders is a lovely road, I work with someone who lives in the Alders and they really like it, the entire road backs onto Hampton common which is fantastic for families & the dog!

When we were moving recently we looked at Whitton / Twickenham which is a lovely area. If you are considering moving that way you do get slightly more for your money in the Whitton end of Twickenham (TW2 & TW3) and as Whitton is part of Twickenham & Richmond Upon Thames you still get the access to the excellent local schools. I've also heard rumours of Crossrail 2 heading to Whitton/ Twickenham in a few years so that's always good for getting into central London for work. etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now