Talk

Advanced search

Made to measure shelving or Ikea bookcases?

(17 Posts)
doglover Sat 07-Sep-13 15:30:38

Our tiny study/music room/'escape' room (10' x 7') needs to fulfil several different roles (small sofa/piano/book storage) and will therefore need really careful planning. I've been looking at the Ikea bookcases/shelving and nothing quite fits the bill. Would we be looking at megabucks if we had a chippie put up simple MDF wall shelves which would be exactly what we wanted? We don't want anything fancy, just shelves which utilise every bit of space.

TIA

BoundandRebound Sat 07-Sep-13 15:48:30

Can't hurt to get a quote

ILikeBirds Sat 07-Sep-13 18:25:55

I've seen some really good examples of Ikea units being made to look built in

e.g. http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/01/billy-bookcases-to-built-ins.html

ILikeBirds Sat 07-Sep-13 18:26:05

www.ikeahackers.net/2012/01/billy-bookcases-to-built-ins.html

NoComet Sat 07-Sep-13 18:36:21

You can buy extra billy shelves so it's possible to put matching shelves between units. I want to do this in our dinning room.

White ones are exactly the same as standard, melamine board. Therefore, they are very easy to put bridging shelves to fill gaps.

Yes, Billy shelves are cheap and cheerful, but they do the job really well. They are the only shelves we haven't bent.

doglover Sat 07-Sep-13 20:26:12

Thanks so much for this information. I had no idea that Ikea did this so will investigate further.

This could be the perfect compromise! smile

poocatcherchampion Sat 07-Sep-13 20:33:59

everyone here seems to love billy, but we've found them to be very flimsy and have now relegated them to the back bedroom in our new house. they are so wobbly. the tall one we stuck to the wall collapsed about a year ago. I'd go for the carpenter myself.

suntodayplease Sat 07-Sep-13 21:25:42

Personally if you can afford to, I'd get made to measure everytime. Having binned so much ikea furniture recently as it was poorly put together admittedly likely to be DHs error not ikea but also we have a Victorian house. The walls aren't straight, but having got a carpenter in recently we have straight shelves which fit alcoves etc perfectly. Obviously only good if you're planning on staying in the house long term. Plus you can have it exactly as you want, you're not limited in shelf heights etc.

Willow33 Sat 07-Sep-13 23:07:37

I used Shelfbar. Not too expensive but v sturdy and I had them put high up, off the floor.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 08-Sep-13 12:38:05

have you considered using Jali.co.uk
I have used them for years - they've never let me down yet ! :-)

doglover Sun 08-Sep-13 13:39:19

Never heard of them, OPOH, but will look at the website! smile

kimmy121 Sun 08-Sep-13 17:42:26

I've just had à carpenter make and fit 6 alcove shelves in a couple of rooms (made to look like floating shelves) and a floor to ceiling unit with shelves. we had pipes I wanted boxed in, but in case we ever need to get to them, he made the unit which fits perfectly, hides the pipes And looks amazing.
he's also sorting the shoddy electric bpx. everything fitted, I just need to gloss/varnish.
cost £180 a nd worth every penny.grin

doglover Sun 08-Sep-13 21:14:41

Wow! Bargainous, K121! They sound wonderful smile

MummytoMog Mon 09-Sep-13 00:11:45

My brother knocked me up some mdf shelves and cupboards to go in my big alcoves. Absolutely massive, so cost about £200 in the end for all the materials, primer and paint (and hinges and handles) but they are so much better than the ikea shelves we had before. And I love ikea. Love.

debbiecarter Wed 08-Apr-15 11:44:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

barbaraboon Thu 03-Dec-15 12:22:17

Sadie83 Fri 25-Nov-16 10:51:49

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now