Talk

Advanced search

New "proper" roof on conservatory

(13 Posts)
asandwichshort Sat 24-Aug-13 15:39:47

Has any one replaced their poly carbon conservatory roof with one of the new tiled ones currently being advertised which are supposed to help it keep cool in summer and warmer in the winter? If so does it work and was it worth the money?

perspective Sat 24-Aug-13 20:05:24

Interested in replies. We are contemplating a glass roof for ours. It's not cheap, but promises to make the room useable year round.

asandwichshort Sat 24-Aug-13 22:34:03

We boil in summer (south facing) and freeze in winter but its a lovely place to be in the rest of the time. just would like to be able to be in there more! perspective I didn't know glass ones were any better than the polycarbon ones? Is it special solar glass or something? and how much is not cheap? Ours is a lean to type across the back of our house 6m by 3m approx

OpenMindedSceptic Sat 24-Aug-13 23:45:31

Sorry no advice but watching with interest!

teacherandguideleader Sun 25-Aug-13 07:32:08

Are they quieter? Our conservatory is open plan from the living room - big mistake. When it rains we have to yell at each other, and TV is impossible!

trixymalixy Sun 25-Aug-13 10:36:24

We looked into just replacing the roof on our conservatory, but the foundations needed to be strengthened to take the extra weight.

asandwichshort Sun 25-Aug-13 12:17:47

These new ones advertised are "light" so apparently no need for foundations to be strengthened - come on surely somebody has has it done!!!

perspective Sun 25-Aug-13 14:11:24

I have a friend with a glass roof and the conservatory is only a degree or two cooler than the rest of the house. We have been quoted 11K ( big room 5 m x 3m). The roof is insulated with some special stuff and reflects light back and is designed to be warmer in winter and cooler in summer. Still humming and ha- ing.

bishboschone Sun 25-Aug-13 14:13:05

I have a conservatory that has a polarised glass roof. It's useable all year round as we had it built as a playroom. Also warm enough in the winter . Do it, I don't know who designed plastic roofs , they are noisy and ugly.

perspective Sun 25-Aug-13 15:26:58

Thanks!

Llareggub Sun 25-Aug-13 15:29:52

I had a glass roof on my south facing conservatory. It was fine during the day in both summer and winter as the sun heated the room and the rest of the house. We made the mistake of open plan to the kitchen and as soon as it got dark in the winter we froze. Never again!

putthehamsterbackinitscage Sun 25-Aug-13 15:41:27

Also interested in this... There is a local supplier too so will be investigating prices etc this Autumn but keen to hear any advice etc

Solidroofs4u Wed 07-Feb-18 20:22:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: