Advanced search

Drafty floorboards

(10 Posts)
PigletJohn Wed 31-Jul-13 23:40:42


Insulation is not the same as blocking ventilation.

Mineral quilt between the joists is the usual method.

The airspace is under the joists. While working, unclog all the airbricks and remove rubble and dead rats from the void.

it is all much easier if the floorboards come up first, and you can do a better jobs

CinnamonAddict Wed 31-Jul-13 13:35:17

Should you really insulate under the floorboards on the ground floor though? I thought the point of air bricks was the fact that the space under the floorboards needs to be ventilated?
We have put wood on top of floorboards, btw.

fedupwithdeployment Wed 31-Jul-13 13:27:40

Many thanks. I will look at that.

freakydeaky Wed 31-Jul-13 09:17:43

Another vote for Stopgap here. Can be used on sash windows as well..

MummytoMog Wed 31-Jul-13 08:53:33

We have stopgap too. It is good, but I would still insulate under the boards a but.

thequietone Tue 30-Jul-13 23:09:41

Have you seen Stopgap? We live in a Victorian house, pretty much all bare floorboards. Same problem in Winter - you could feel the breeze through the gaps in the floorboards.

I ordered this stuff - so easy to install and the difference has been AMAZING. You just need scissors, a credit card shaped card and that's it. It was reviewed very positively last year and so it took a little while for them to restock due to demand.

You can only buy it direct and I wasn't able to find anything similar by any other company. Stopgap. No, I don't work for them - I'm just a relieved customer!

PigletJohn Tue 30-Jul-13 23:01:34


it is an arduous and dirty job so no-one wants to do it if they can get better work.

If you are willing to do it yourself you will probably do it better and cheaper.

If for some reason you need to take the floorboards up, it will become far easier.

fedupwithdeployment Tue 30-Jul-13 22:06:47


fedupwithdeployment Tue 30-Jul-13 15:28:07

oops. Cosy!

fedupwithdeployment Tue 30-Jul-13 15:27:44

We have an Edwardian house in a typical London terrace. Everything is great except for the floorboards in the sitting room and the hall. While they look fab, there are some small gaps and in the winter (ie for about 9 months last year) the room was really cold. We had central heating on full time and a fire, and it was still very far from cost. From doing a bit of research, there are a couple of options:

1. Get some carpet with underlay. This is not our preferred option as we really like the look of the floor boards.
2. Get some new floor boards on top - again not preferred.
3. Get some insulation put under the floor boards.

3 is definitely what we would like to do, but we have also read some horror stories on the internet. We have taken up a couple of floor boards under the stairs, and it looks as though the joists are in good condition and there is (just) enough space to crawl around and put insulation in place.

Ideally we would like a firm to come in and do this for us. And the question is whether anyone knows any firms in SW London who might have that expertise?

Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now