Talk

Advanced search

Mould treatment?

(5 Posts)
rattling Tue 30-Jul-13 11:56:31

Just bought a house that needs a bit of work (there may be many threads to follow). One of it's identified problems is damp. The house doesn't feel damp and there are no visible signs on the surface of the walls (mostly wallpapered, and not recently I'd guess), but as I've been ripping down the wallpaper all over the place there are a lot of areas of black mould between the plaster and the paper.

We will be treating the damp fairly soon, but I'd like to clean off the mould (especially the patch directly above DH's head as he sleeps!!) Any tips for the best product to remove it?

Also - related question I think - this is my first experience of living with double glazing. The house feels hermetically sealed to someone brought up with single glazed, ancient, sash and case. My natural urge when I get in is to open all the windows and the back door, but how much of that is necessary to keep the place aired?

bizboz Tue 30-Jul-13 12:34:43

I have found HG mould spray really good in my bathroom for getting off patches of mould on tile grout. I assume it would work on walls but have never tried it. My house is double-glazed and I always open the windows a bit during the day, even if it's only for a few minutes.

Childcareisscary Tue 30-Jul-13 12:40:11

Dettol have a mould and mildew product which I found helped small patches. And I have a dehumidifier for the bigger problems.

wonkylegs Tue 30-Jul-13 17:08:45

Dilute bleach works (cheaper) or dettol mould & mildew spray which is the same stuff more conveniently packaged.

PolterGoose Wed 31-Jul-13 08:18:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: