Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

help me visualise what could be done with this

(8 Posts)
member Fri 19-Jul-13 10:00:34

to make it a property where my parents (approaching 70) could live with my grandmother (mid 80s) each having their own front door/independence! Don't think the back garden is big enough for a separate granny annexe type building which would be first choice, so how would you split/extend the property if you had a budget of 60-80k to carry out a refurb?

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42531452.html

LadyKooKoo Fri 19-Jul-13 11:58:11

Is there space to the side of the garage? I would convert the garage and build to the side of it if possible.

cavell Fri 19-Jul-13 12:51:27

Garage conversion seems most obvious solution to me. Great Granny uses existing entrance as her front door. Garage converted to bedroom, utility to bathroom. Bedroom 1 now her living room.
Left side of house for your parents. New entrance to left of existing lounge and extension to incorporate a kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. Keep main lounge as theirs but with entrance from opposite side from current one. Extension set back a little from front line of house so as not to loose too many windows from lounge. Existing bathroom used as en suite to bedroom 2.
From the photos, it looks as if there is more side to extend to the left side of the house, so that's why I see it this way. Hope my description makes sense.

primallass Fri 19-Jul-13 13:34:28

That could be a gorgeous house.

Do they have to have a separate kitchen or could they share?

Does it all have to be ground floor?

Garage conversion with a bay window to match bedroom 1 and a matching bay window extension to the left could be nice.

member Fri 19-Jul-13 14:40:18

Thanks, LadyKooKoo, I haven't seen the house in the flesh (I'm in Wiltshire & parents/granny in N E Scotland) but am scoping things out for them. I don't think there is much space to side of garage.

Cavell, your solution seems simillar to what I was thinking, presumably current kitchen Great Granny's even though big?

Primallass, think sharing would be a disaster tbh - Great Granny is very clean/tidy/organised (little else to do tbh) & bemoans my mother "needing a rocket up her backside" at times (she doesn't live in a complete midden btw, just not to Great Granny's standards). Ground floor favoured just because not getting any younger & as this is such a big move, it needs to be as suitable as possible for any future reduced mobility (the steps/slope to the front are a bit of a concern in that regard)

groovejet Fri 19-Jul-13 21:43:29

Lichfield is a lovely place to live.

Have not got much of an eye for building projects but having had a look at bungalows in Lichfield this one http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38175559.html

Whilst a bit more money the extra bedroom and double garage plus 2 bathrooms may help keep your building budget a bit lower.

formicadinosaur Mon 22-Jul-13 18:45:57

I would probably use the garage and utility and extension for gran. Extend out front with lovely v roof, on the side or on the back.

It would be a shame to carve the actual property up as it seems quite balanced and if you did, I recon you wouldn't get your money back value wise.

theWookiesWife Sat 27-Jul-13 09:51:27

Hi ! The more I look at this - the more two things come to mind - firstly the slope/ steps going up to the property ... Are these going to cause problems especially in inclement weather or do they all only ever go out and about by car ?! ( what happens when they get too old to drive) The second thing is ... If you do split this property - is it an an area where ( years down the line) you could rent it out as either professional residential lets or holiday lets ?!
I think it's lovely that you are thinking of and helping your family by the way !!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now