Talk

Advanced search

can you make your own chalk paint?

(10 Posts)
Zynda Sun 14-Jul-13 21:31:18

I have painted some furniture already, and it's turned out nicely. My parents have given me two huge wardrobes and I thought I might sand, undercoat and the chalkpaint them. Does anybody besides Annie Sloan do chalk paint? I googled chalk paint and saw something about making chalk paint. I want to do one wardrobe in a blinding fuschia with black under the fuschia. Does that make sense?

TheFutureMrsB Sun 14-Jul-13 21:42:27

It's easy to make your own, I'll be back soon with the recipe or link to the recipe, works really well too.

TheFutureMrsB Sun 14-Jul-13 21:43:37

Chalk paint using plaster of Paris

But will be back when I find the other one lol!

TheFutureMrsB Sun 14-Jul-13 21:45:33

Four different recipes here too

Zynda Sun 14-Jul-13 22:52:20

Thanks a million! I was looking at the annie sloan paints but they don't do a really bold bright dark pink.

MrsFlorrick Sun 14-Jul-13 23:04:08

Yes. The smoothest result for me was using calcium carbonate in powder form (buy 1kg online for approx £3).

You can then mix this with any emulsion or eggshell paint of your choice. I painted waxed oak bedside cabinets this way with F&B Doves Tail.

I didn't want to wax after painting so I essentially used the above as a primer and painted two coats of Doves Tail eggshell on top.

Looks great.

Zynda Sun 14-Jul-13 23:04:48

Thank you TheFutureMrsB, I think I'll use recipe number 2,the plaster of paris one, as if she couldn't find calcium carbonate without a search, I don't know if I can. She said she got it in a pharmacy. Imagine walking in to boots and asking for that. "have you taken it before?"

Zynda Sun 14-Jul-13 23:06:23

Oh just seen your post mrsFlorrick. Wow, it's cheap! That's good. Cheap is good. maybe I'll go for recipe number one then.

MrsFlorrick Sun 14-Jul-13 23:09:18

Zynda. I found it much harder to get hold of plaster of Paris than calcium carbonate.

Also be aware that plaster of Paris gets very hot once you mix it with liquid as it begins to set. Do not get it on your hands or you could get nasty burns.

Zynda Sun 14-Jul-13 23:11:54

Ok thanks. Where did you order the calcium carbonate from? If I can just click click click, so much the better. I can never get anybody to serve me in diy shops. I end up chasing after some 18 year old boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now