Talk

Advanced search

Driveway and front door steps

(7 Posts)
AnythingNotEverything Tue 25-Jun-13 20:36:12

We're starting to finally get our house in order before the arrival of dc 2 in the Autumn. Our front steps are currently not suitable for dragging a pram up, so we want to have them replaced.

Anecdotally, people have said this kind of work is expensive hmm

Has anyone ever replaced their steps (3-4 steps I think) and their driveway (would be nice to get rid of the cracked concrete!)? Would you mind saying what it cost and where in the country you are?

Drive is on a slope but goes right past the house - long enough for 3 cars I think.

TIA!

LovingTheSunshine Tue 25-Jun-13 21:07:38

I'm in Hertfordshire & our drive cost £4k. It can fit 2/3 cars. HTH

AnythingNotEverything Tue 25-Jun-13 21:12:38

That does help - thanks!

More than I thought, but I suspect it's time consuming work.

Ginformation Tue 25-Jun-13 21:15:12

Be aware you may have to dig new drainage into your drive. To comply with building regs you are no longer permitted to allow run off water so you need a strip drain/soakaway.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 25-Jun-13 21:21:04

Excellent advice. Maybe we'll just get new steps ...

Ginformation Tue 25-Jun-13 22:13:05

Ah, but then you will have shiny new steps then you will look at the drive like this hmm
grin

We did extensive renovations when I was pregnant with ds, we had no bathroom or kitchen for a while, the builders set up a temporary loo in the roofless dining room (it was eventually partitioned off to make a downstairs loo). Fun. Good luck with the work and dc2.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 26-Jun-13 08:22:37

Blooming heck Gin- are you crackers?! We're not doing anything remotely as scary as that.

I think new steps and old drive may be the answer. Ta folks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now