Advanced search

Aaargh! When do you start believing it's REALLY going to happen?!

(34 Posts)
flow4 Tue 25-Jun-13 12:58:36

House #1: offer declined, raised offer declined; owner decided she didn't really want to sell yet, cos she hadn't found anywhere else she wanted to live. hmm

House #2: offer accepted... Then got gazumped. angry

House #3: vendors took it off the market the morning I 'phoned up to offer. sad

House #4: lots of to-ing and fro-ing about building work that had no sign off... But... now... um... offer accepted...?! shock grin

But only yesterday. I want to get excited, but I just daren't...

If it is real this time, things will probably move quickly... Both vendors and I are chain-free and keen to move as early as poss in the summer holidays - so maybe a month...?

When can I start believing it's really going to happen this time?! confused

lightrain Tue 25-Jun-13 13:53:33

Not until exchange I reckon. I've had the same bad experiences of going down the line and being messed around. So now, until the contract is signed I'm not counting my chickens!

Ridiculous system in the UK isn't it. I don't understand why nobody changes it so people are committed to follow through earlier in the process!

TerrysNo2 Tue 25-Jun-13 14:25:57

The reason no one has changed it, IMO, is because the crappy system leaves a lot of money flowing around in it, its an unfair economy booster!

flow4 Tue 25-Jun-13 14:45:29

Oh please tell me I'm allowed to get excited before exchange?! It's likely we'll complete very soon after exchange - I'd like a little bit of pleasure/happy anticipation before I need to start panicking! shock

You're right about the money flowing about. I haven't even dared to add up the amounts I'll be paying out to make this move happen - around £5k I reckon!

AngryFeet Tue 25-Jun-13 18:12:31

Not till exchange imo. We had someone pull out on us the day before exchange recently. Luckily we found somewhere better and exchanged 2 weeks ago so it ended happily smile

flow4 Tue 25-Jun-13 18:25:30

Noooooooo! No wonder your feet are angry wink
I am hopeful that they won't mess us about, because they themselves have lost two sales and know how horrible it feels to be messed about. Also, I've had my share of sh*t!

lightrain Tue 25-Jun-13 18:56:29

Flow - my fingers are crossed for you. Cross them for me too!

poocatcherchampion Tue 25-Jun-13 20:07:46

We are exchanging and completing on the same day which is in 10 days time. Removal booked, everything happening.. starting to get excited....

flow4 Tue 25-Jun-13 20:50:05

Whooo! Fingers crossed for you two too then, light and Poocat! grin
I am really very lucky: because I am doing let-to-buy, not selling my current house, we don't actually have to do the whole move on 'C-Day'! That should help reduce stress considerably! smile

ISeeSmallPeople Tue 25-Jun-13 20:54:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

flow4 Tue 25-Jun-13 20:55:53

it sounds like you're an 'old hand' at this moving malarkey, ISee! I have only bought one other house, this one I live in now, 22 years ago! shock

ISeeSmallPeople Tue 25-Jun-13 21:03:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

flow4 Tue 25-Jun-13 21:15:02

I said that the first time. Which is why I've stayed put for 22 years! grin

flow4 Wed 26-Jun-13 07:37:05

We'll it's showing as SSTC on RM and Zoopla this morn, so that bodes well smile

poocatcherchampion Wed 26-Jun-13 07:47:35

its a good

AKissIsNotAContract Wed 26-Jun-13 07:52:54

A month between offer being accepted and exchange of contracts is very quick. Are you a cash buyer? What about surveys?

RaisingHooligirls Wed 26-Jun-13 18:46:11

I know what you mean, it's like a pregnancy. I've got further along this time than the last two times but I still don't really believe I will end up living there.

flow4 Wed 26-Jun-13 19:33:43

Ha, Raising, I know what you mean!
Kiss, not a cash buyer, but nothing to sell: I am doing let-to-buy with my current house, and because I was gazumped previously, that mortgage is already agreed. Also, I had a structural survey done prior to offering, and started some of the searches, so really the mortgage survey on this house is the only potential delay: my broker is confident it can be arranged swiftly, and my solicitor says everything else should be relatively quick.

On the vendors' side, they have nothing to buy and are moving into rented... All in all, my solicitor says a month is possible, tho not by any means guaranteed. smile

RaisingHooligirls Wed 26-Jun-13 20:14:04

Wow. I'll cross my fingers for you that you complete in a month. I'm excited that 'my' house is now marked sale agreed. My friend gave me a bottle of prosecco but I was thinking 'thank you so much but cool your jets!'. I haven't even put the prosecco in the fridge yet!

flow4 Wed 26-Jun-13 20:28:26

I have a bottle of champagne not yet chilling in the fridge for the same reason!

RaisingHooligirls Wed 26-Jun-13 20:29:45

ooh champagne! maybe I will get a bottle, for when I move in. Have already told the children they can have appeltiser in champagne flutes when I snorkel up the real stuff. so, oh dear, I have mentally moved in shock

flow4 Wed 26-Jun-13 21:46:39


flow4 Thu 27-Jun-13 20:46:14

Just had a friendly phone call from the vendors... It's all looking do-able so far... confused grin

DrHolmes Thu 27-Jun-13 21:37:38

Our offer was accepted beg June. We get the keys next friday! I can't wait!

flow4 Thu 27-Jun-13 21:51:02

Yay, congratulations DrH!

I am starting to believe in it, but that's making me scared rather than excited! confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now