Advanced search

Buyers support thread - stressed? Worried? Stuck in a chain? Gazumped? Well come and join us here

(1000 Posts)
Bakingnovice Tue 25-Jun-13 12:31:54

I can't see if there is already a thread like this so here goes..

We finally upped our offer enough for it to be accepted on our dream house. It's been stressful so far and this is just the beginning. We have had so many let downs: vendor changing mind, vendor getting higher offer etc and we hope this sale goes through smoothly. We've been looking for years. Come and join me if you're buying and equally stressed....

123rd Fri 25-Oct-13 20:03:44

Oh god toffi. Getting hives ?? You really don't need that plus a wedding in a matter Of weeks. I've had a vodka and orange now and feel slightly less annoyed.
My dh was talking earlier today about walking away from the whole lot but I think I have persuaded him that its not that bad.we shall see

Toffi what I don't get is, why can't your buyers just wait? I know you said previously that they don't seem to understand the process but maybe the EA /sol could enlighten them?

pigleychez Fri 25-Oct-13 20:32:10

Bog- Glad the the registration is done. smile Hope you get a date soon!

123- Hope you hear something soon. How frustrating for you angry

Toffi- Wow, sounds like your super busy with the housebuying and wedding!
I get hives too but mine is cold/temperature related. I have a rare condition that means i'm allergic to the cold! Hope they clear up soon for you.

Got and update from our EA today. The buyers at the top of the chain are done. Our vendors survey is being done next week so things are ticking along nicely there. We have started to receive enquiries from our buyers solicitors so things are going well there too. Getting there! smile

Packed a few boxes this week. Feel like I should be doing more but we still need so much of it out/in use.

Purpletoes Sat 26-Oct-13 00:15:52

toffi hope you get a decent buyer soon.
Your special one sounds like a nightmare.

mil hope you get sorted soon as well

bludger and oldwoman that's great news on the houses front.

So I had a bit of a stress start to the week. Had survey done 2 weeks ago started chasing it Monday and only recieved it yesterday. Nothing out of the ordinary in it so that was good.

After our solicitor 2 weeks ago being blasé about exhage on 3 and complete in 4 weeks. We still hadn't received the draft contracts so spent all week trying to chase and get hold of her. She eventually sent them out yesterday so received them today. Had a quick skin but will red properly tomorrow and hopefully post back on Monday.

We have agreed to a 2 week period between exchange and completion. Our vendor doesn't want it to linger into December but doesn't want to do it the 18-20 of November. We are trying to push for the 22nd or 25th at latest. Fir many reasons. A we are heading to Ireland for Xmas so would like done time to sort out the house before we leave on the 19th.

B my parents are coming over the last week and it would be so good to have then there to help with unpacking and entertaining DS. Dd is an rkectricisn and far handier than the rest of us.

C when we offered all the ea kept saying was that they wanted a quick sale route as the previous buyers disappeared and the vendor had already found a place. But now all the stalling is from them on dates.

I really hope we are in on the 22nd. Getting excited now along with the stress.

I have the upmost respect for all of you and the tribulations you are going through. I am stressed and as house buying goes this one is pretty run of the mill.

Catch up soon I hope.

HearMyRoar Sat 26-Oct-13 13:31:54

Hello there. I was on this thread a few months ago but the offer wasn't excepted so I dropped off. Glad to see it is still going. smile

Just put in an offer on a different place so now I am in a state of panic waiting to see if it is excepted. There is another offer on the table but apparently they are fiddling about with it a bit and have also got other offers floating about so the seller isn't too keen on them. We are super easy, 1st time buyers, not looking at any other places, mortgage in place pretty much. So I am quietly optimistic.

Not sure how we are going to afford the fees and moving costs but I am sure it will be fine grin

hefner Mon 28-Oct-13 13:02:17

Just checking in to see how everyone is getting on. I'm glad things are starting to move for you oldwoman. Fingers crossed you get your offer accepted hearmyroar, and pigley it's nice to hear that things are going well for someone!

I'm still frantically checking rightmove and hoping I can find something before we lose our buyer. She has been patient so far, but it's 5 weeks since we accepted her offer and she's already had her survey done, so I think she'll be expecting some progress soon. We've got an offer in on a lovely house, but it's 5% under asking price and we're not prepared to go any higher. The vendor said they wouldn't go lower than 2.5% under but they haven't actually rejected our offer yet so we're still in suspense. We saw another possible option at the weekend but it's on the small side and needs a lot of work. Where is my dream house?!

BogStandardOldWoman Mon 28-Oct-13 18:39:09

Hi all, and good luck with the offers!
Well I knew it was too good to be true. Not going to exchange this week after all. Sol decided registration not good enough as doesn't grant ownership of parking area, so wants sellers to go back to them again! Another delay and no clue as to how long it will take. Have told sol it has to be quick or we are done. Finished. Me and DH broken now tbh.

MILdesperandum Mon 28-Oct-13 20:08:32

Oh no old woman! How did your buyers take that news? confused

Some good/bad news here. Bad: survey has been rearranged but not for another 2 weeks angry BUT Good: Sol reckons it won't hold us up and we should be in for Christmas!!

BogStandardOldWoman Mon 28-Oct-13 20:31:52

Don't think they know yet as I only found out at 5.30 tonight!
Glad you will still be in for Xmas MIL! I guess they can get on with everything else in the meantime. Good luck x

FCEK Mon 28-Oct-13 22:03:30

Now that our house is sold, we have a viewing arranged tomorrow night for a house I like the look off. It doesn't tick all the boxes (we'd like two sitting rooms and it only has one) but its the best that we can afford. Think we would need to compromise as it is a great location (my mum's street so I know everyone). Hopefully I like the interior etc and DH likes it too. He's a bit worried about the size too but we'll see.

What should I be asking?

123rd Mon 28-Oct-13 22:14:18

Hi guys. I've been staying away for a few days as I was so peed off last week I really didn't think anyone needed to hear me moaning( & yes I did read the thread title smile)
Old woman, that's naff isn't it? Is the process going to be a shorten one compared to reg of the whole property? Bloody hope so.
Mil, at least you have a date. Thats good and everything else is still going ahead?
We have now got a bit of news, buyers survey booked for this fri. 'Bout bloody time. The co phoned and said it would take a couple of hours for a home buyers survey. Really? Is that right?
Our vendors still have not sent ANY paperwork but their EA let slip that they had been waiting for probable to be granted on the chaps wife- first we flipping knew about it. We have had an email to say all papers draft contracts etc in a few days... We shall see

123rd Mon 28-Oct-13 22:21:36

Fcek can you think about extension / conversion of rooms ?

pigleychez Mon 28-Oct-13 22:45:07

123- When the surveyor came to our house for the HB he was here about 1.5 hours so that's probably about right.

123rd Mon 28-Oct-13 23:03:17

Thanks pigley. Is it worth asking the surveyor what the results are? Or is it " more then their jobs worth" to let you know ?

MILdesperandum Tue 29-Oct-13 07:32:27

Dunno about asking for the results, they're being aid by your buyer so I guess they shouldn't give away any details strictly speaking. The one who came to our house kindly said "there won't be anything to worry about on this one" if you indicate you might be using them for your own survey (ask for a card) perhaps they'll be a bit more chatty?! smile

BogStandardOldWoman Tue 29-Oct-13 07:56:05

Hiya 123rd. I asked ours and all he said was 'you should be fine - I'll try not to bugger it up for you!'

FCEK Tue 29-Oct-13 08:07:48

yes we've looked into the possibility of an extension/conservatory but DH says he'd rather have a house that ticks all the boxes without the need to extend iyswim. I'll report back on how the viewing went!

BogStandardOldWoman Tue 29-Oct-13 10:22:31

123rd - a thought on probate and all that jazz. My friend sold her MIL's house recently, it all went through pretty quickly. I think getting the sol to draft everything up and then press the button when they could helped. They could have told you though, instead of leaving you in the dark!
I'm back on the roller coaster this morn - sol has changed mind on re-registration (think our seller's sol has told her NO) so is now going to try and get our lender to agree to the parking situation as it is. If so we'll be back on. This is killing me!!

pigleychez Tue 29-Oct-13 13:28:25

Bog- Hope they can sort it for you soon!

123- I didnt ask mine... I was tempted but he was abit scary! blush

Our searches are back and we should get the report on them tomorrow apparently. Our sellers had the survey done on their new house yesterday so fingers crossed things shouldnt take too much longer!

DH couldnt get into work yesterday because of the messed up trains from the storm so spent the day clearing out the sheds! (and trying to avoid the mouse that has recently taken up residence in there!) So now the garden stuff is all sorted and packed up.... now just the main house! Minor details smile hmm

oolaroola Tue 29-Oct-13 14:54:29

Haven't been on this thread for a bit as I've been too stressed to contribute, but today after an awful month of financial admin ourmortgage was approved!!! Whoop!! Subject to survey of course. Beginning to think it may actually happen.
Sorry for not commenting o. Others but am too excited/ relieved to make any sense!!!

BogStandardOldWoman Tue 29-Oct-13 15:03:37

Hi Pigley, that sounds like it's all moving in the right direction! My latest is that we are on! Contract out to us today, aiming to exchange Friday! Buyers kicking off now as we can't complete until the end if the month as DH away middle 2 weeks, I can't move on my own. Sol has suggested that the EA get them to agree but they refuse to speak to him! Any ideas on how to get them to see sense? They surely have to don't they? More stress when I should be happy (going for moaning old cow award)..

FCEK Tue 29-Oct-13 15:14:23

Our buyer finally made their offer legal today but want in on the 6th dec which, although we can stay at my mums temporarily, seems too soon

WillieWaggledagger Tue 29-Oct-13 15:24:59

may i join this thread?

we are first-time buyers and are in limbo at the moment, as we have everything lined up to exchange, but the vendor has got upset with being asked when a date could be proposed for exchange. we have had no information about the upward chain and our vendor has threatened the EA with a harassment complaint if they contact her, so it is all in the hands of the solicitors now. i think she is just utterly stressed out by the whole process of buying and selling at the same time, but it is hard not having any information at all about what is going on further up the chain.

i so want to be in by christmas, and we are willing to pay rent and mortgage overlapping for a couple of months for that to happen (i'm very wary of handing in notice on the rental before we exchange), but just have no idea if that is realistic...

from some of the posts on this thread it does sound as though some parties refusing to speak to their EAs is not uncommon, so clearly they are cocking it up for many in the way they approach this!

MILdesperandum Tue 29-Oct-13 16:29:28

Welcome Waggle, how frustrating, I can understand the vendor perhaps feeling pressured, if they can't find anything they like and the market (around here anyway) is really slowing down with not much new coming on the market) however that doesn't help you does it?! Obviously the last thing you want is for the sale to fall apart - do you think your seller has found a property or is still looking?

Our sale is going quick according to solicitor but he also mentioned that he hasn't had much from our vendor's sol, we had offer accepted 3 weeks ago. I think hope it is just that our Vendor is in no desperate rush to sell (she's moved in with her new DH and house has been empty for couple of years) and so isn't very on top of paperwork. The rest of our chain (3 parties) are very keen to move ASAP so I've tried to get her EA to ease her along a bit!

BogStandardOldWoman Tue 29-Oct-13 16:55:57

Hi FCEK, congrats on offer. 6th Dec does seem quick - 5 weeks from offer to completion? Can it be done anyone?
Welcome Waggle, that sounds a nightmare, it must be difficult at the bottom of the chain. Can your vendor's EA contact the solicitor for you to try and find out what's going on? EA's are difficult I know - it's all sunshine and flowers whilst they're selling, they are not too bothered with the grunt work afterwards! Keep trying and good luck.

oolaroola Tue 29-Oct-13 16:57:52

Blimey Willie that sounds a bit odd. Has the vendor been difficult all the way along?
Am glad we're just buying and not selling as its been stressful enough so far!
Can anyone enlighten me on what happens next?
So far we've had a list from sol about whats included in the sale and some boundary information.
I know the valuation survey happens next too and that's another hurdle but am not too sure of any other pitfalls?
How long can it take from here? Would love to be in before Christmas.

This thread is not accepting new messages.