Advanced search

The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers goes on and on....

(427 Posts)
TerrysNo2 Mon 24-Jun-13 21:22:39

New thread!

Come share and despair smile

Flossiechops Mon 24-Jun-13 21:28:17

Terrys I tend to lurk a little as I'm selling up within the next few months too. We had a very similar situation where we got to exchange and our buyers demanded a £3k reduction otherwise they would pull out. I hated them for the black mail at the time but ended up reducing as we had spent a fortune in pursuit of another property. It's true to say that a few years later I don't think about that money - just that we ended up with the house we wanted. You could hold out for more but what if that's the best offer you get? Cut your losses and go for it, it may make renovations a little more restriced but least you can enjoy your hoilday!

TerrysNo2 Mon 24-Jun-13 21:32:08

Flossie I totally agree, but we do need our vendor to drop his price a bit too so I really hope he will do that. we should find out tomorrow!

Flossiechops Mon 24-Jun-13 21:33:18

Good luck! It's just so bloody stressful isn't it?!

doglover Mon 24-Jun-13 21:49:04

Depressingly, this is the third thread of the same name that I'm still posting on.

Not good! sad

Jaynebxl Mon 24-Jun-13 21:53:11

Dog lover I'm with you! Thought we would be installed in our new house and all settled by now. Ho hum.

wonkylegs Mon 24-Jun-13 22:17:25

I'm still here lurking whilst paperwork goes on. I've spoken to everybody in the chain and we all think that we should be ready to exchange so are all on an active nagging campaign. It's still 4wks until we are supposed to complete but our respective conveyancers seem to be working at a snails pace despite being told by all parties that they wanted to exchange asap.angry
In the meantime I'm sorting & packing as we have so much stuff. I've packed 70boxes and still have over 50% of the house to do. We are packing and dismantling ourselves. A large chunk of those boxes are my work stuff as I'm in the process of starting a new company and we've hoarded 10yrs of stuff
We had a well oiled plan for what we needed to do each week but it's been thrown into disarray by DHs work rota putting him down to work the wkend before our move, he can't swap so we are going to have to fudge disconnecting/dismantling stuff.
Any good suggestions on how to pack huge canvasses would be really welcome right now.

Terry personally i'd take it. You need to think what would you regret in a few years, a missed chance or less renovations/slightly longer to do renovations?

rubyrubyruby Mon 24-Jun-13 22:30:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HarderToKidnap Mon 24-Jun-13 23:06:12

Terry, you should take it. 4k is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

It looks like my house buying adventure is done and dusted, the first bit anyway. After 14 viewings on Saturday, we had 5 offers and have ended up with slightly more than the asking price! And she has a massive depost which slightly sets my mind at rest as 'm sure the bank will say it's been overvalued. And we had an offer accepted on our dream house!

Now the nail biting admin waiting bit! We're in shock here. It's happened so fast!

50shadesofmeh Tue 25-Jun-13 08:39:28

just swinging by for a bit of support as we are selling our first home, we have been here 10 years but have 3 kids now and are very squashed in.
Hopefully going live on Internet on Friday , been deck uttering and tidying like a mad woman and hoping for a quick sale and that I find a new home that fits the bill.
Eek so stressful, any tips on coping ?
I'm going to need to get up early every Morning , get ready and tidy to try stay organised .

hinkyhonk Tue 25-Jun-13 08:53:34

Wine or gin and lots of it grin

We complete next Thursday and the enormity if uprooting our entire lives is just hitting. Slightly frightening... And a little bit exciting

TerrysNo2 Tue 25-Jun-13 08:58:19

the only tip from me is that if you don't want any stress, don't do it. but life was never meant to be easy grin

50shadesofmeh Tue 25-Jun-13 09:23:04

So stress is inevitable then, I think I'll try focus on the exciting bits then, been doing a virtual shop at John Lewis and adding all the things I will buy for my new home, that I couldn't have in this house.
6 seater dining room table , sofa bed for spare room, bookshelves for the kids room, a desk for my seeing machine.:-)

50shadesofmeh Tue 25-Jun-13 09:23:50

Sewing machine

ghosteditor Tue 25-Jun-13 11:25:31

Sorry terrys I did mean you - on the app you can't see the posts to which you're responding and I was posting in haste!

htk congratulations and envy !

Well, despite assurances last week we've heard nothing from the EA or prospective buyer - so sucky! And we're on holiday with limited signal so we keep having to pop up the hill to check, which makes it even more disappointing!

monkeytennismum Tue 25-Jun-13 13:38:21

Just returned from no internet access for four days - it's been very trying! Catching up on all your news and welcome to the newbies.

Terrys did you make a decision? I would go with the advice of accepting the offer but keeping it on the market until exchange. Hope your vendor dropped a bit too.
Doglover how come you are still here, what's your hold-up?
Wonky your post has really scared me about the logistics of moving!

Our sale and purchase are ticking along, despite arsey emails from the EA. Luckily we all swapped numbers so are just ignoring him! Just waiting to hear back from our buyers if they have any comeback from their survey.

enjoyingscience Tue 25-Jun-13 13:51:12

checking in! The viewing yesterday doesn't sound very positive - a single guy in a band looking for somewhere to practice (sorry neighbours!) and work from home, so apparently he wasn't keen on the style of the house. It is really a family starter home, so not that surprising.

Nothing else booked in. I have a feeling this is going to take a loooong time sad

terry Hope your vendor drops the price. Fingers crossed!

TerrysNo2 Tue 25-Jun-13 14:02:41

we're almost there, fingers crossed!

I understand why, sensibly, we should leave the house on the market until exchange but how does this actually work, has anyone done it? What if someone else makes an offer, do we just say thanks but you need to wait and see? I'm not entirely sure if the benefits of this and as a buyer I wouldn't agree to it as there is the risk I could spend survey fees etc and someone comes along with a higher offer.

SadPander Tue 25-Jun-13 14:20:27

Hi All, i was on an earlier thread and have dropped off, but still not sold! Are you sold and just waiting to move Doglover or waiting to sell?

We've been on 6 months now, our buyer pulled out in Feb and had not a huge ammount of interest since despite a price drop. Also unexpectidly became pregnant in that time so there is also a time pressure now to move before the baby is due in December. So fed up! Any good advice to sell?!

Hope it works out Terry.

enjoyingscience Tue 25-Jun-13 14:37:31

I'm due in January sad, maybe we can swap tips on moving with bumps grin

Sorry it's taking so long for you. What part of the country are you in?

SadPander Tue 25-Jun-13 14:47:14

Hi Science, Congratulations! I'm thinking moving with bump will be awful, but not as bad as moving with baby! (Not to mention trying to get a mortgage once I'm on maternity leave). Fingers crossed for you.
I'm in South Wales how about you?

enjoyingscience Tue 25-Jun-13 15:22:17

Thanks smile And to you!

I reckon either way, DP is doing all of the lifting, so it makes little difference. I'd rather do it before extreme sleep deprivation kicks in though, so before rather than after does sound sensible! We're in berkshire, but not one of the leafy, desirable bits.

SadPander Tue 25-Jun-13 16:23:56

Haha, yes I hadn't thought of the benefits of not having to do any lifting - I will have to supervise and direct DH instead! Hopefully we will both be moved and settled for Christmas, although I will need to get some viewings on mine first angry Have you been for sale for long?

TerrysNo2 Tue 25-Jun-13 17:57:40

we have accepted the offer, I feel a little deflated to be honest, I think it's because I can't really get excited knowing what happened last time but I am hopeful! thanks for everyone's advice in helping us make this decision.

doglover Tue 25-Jun-13 19:24:52

(Sighing) Yes, I'm still here with all you lovely ladies! Delays with our purchase (work needing to be done before being signed off by Building Inspector) and still waiting to hear if our buyer's survey was problem-free.
Feel stressed and impatient ............... this has been my usual default setting over the last 3 months sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: