Advanced search

Grade II listed property.

(18 Posts)
GrendelsMum Fri 21-Jun-13 17:09:43

Running repairs, IntheSark, not restoring the entire thing from scratch! ;)

rubyrubyruby Fri 21-Jun-13 17:09:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

inthesark Fri 21-Jun-13 16:34:15

Ha ha ha. Ours is currently running at about 40%, but then it was a wreck!

GrendelsMum Fri 21-Jun-13 16:29:55

smile oh dear, TooMuchTea

Toomuchtea Fri 21-Jun-13 15:57:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toomuchtea Fri 21-Jun-13 15:56:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrendelsMum Fri 21-Jun-13 10:53:08


Don't forget to budget and save for running repairs, especially if it was all done at one time in the mid 90s. I can imagine that you might suddenly hit a point at which a lot of things need repairing (you're about to hit the 20 year point), and some will be much more expensive because you're needing to use specialist craftspeople, appropriate materials, etc.

There's some guidance about how much to budget for repairs to a historic house - is it 1% of the purchase price per year?

rubyrubyruby Thu 20-Jun-13 19:15:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toomuchtea Thu 20-Jun-13 17:38:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrendelsMum Wed 19-Jun-13 22:15:39

Mmmm - what TerrysNo2 says is absolutely true, but at the same time, there can be a surprising amount of hassle factor. It depends a lot on your local Conservation Officers, on the house, etc etc.

We need to replace an old garden shed, for example, which we need to get Listed Building Consent for (yes, for a bloody shed). This means submitting a full Listed Building Consent application, including scale drawings of a new shed, and a design statement regarding the shed. Possibly the CO will come out and visit the site of where the shed used to be before it collapsed...

Same for our broken plastic guttering. If we replace it with better quality more appropriate guttering, we need to go for Listed Building Consent. That means scale drawings of the entire house, a guttering sample, etc etc.

As InTheSark says, you can potentially do plenty, but it can be a huge hassle and there are times when you feel a bit despairing (or maybe that's just me).

TerrysNo2 Wed 19-Jun-13 21:45:45

hi ruby we live in a listed house and it's never bothered us. the crux of it is that you cannot alter things which "materially affect the character".

so IMO if you appreciate the character and respect the house's history (I.e you don't want to go in and rip out every feature or knock down original walls) then you'll be fine! smile

rubyrubyruby Wed 19-Jun-13 20:20:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

inthesark Wed 19-Jun-13 19:24:34

Have no idea why I wrote a bit of work there, it needed tons. Everyone comes round, sucks their teeth and goes, well you've certainly taken on a project...

inthesark Wed 19-Jun-13 19:23:42

Agree with didireally, we have bought a Grade II listed property which needed a bit of work and the best thing we ever did was to go round it with the listed buildings officer before we bought it. Loads of work had been done without permission (including, we thought, building an entire extension) and he reassured us that we wouldn't have to take it down.

They are, mostly, reasonable about things but getting permission does make everything take longer, and we even had ask them before we could remove the disgusting orange pine panelling.

Best advice we got was, don't move into a listed property unless you are mostly happy to live with it as it is. If you've got big plans for changing it, you may well be disappointed. As things turned out, we could do quite a lot, but that was lucky - and we would have been happy with it as it was.

didireallysaythat Wed 19-Jun-13 19:17:21

We rent a grade two. The windows can't be upgraded (the landlord has just replaced the rotten ones), the rotten beams can't be replaced so new load supporting ones run alongside, the boiler position is awful but can't be moved, the glass in the windows is "special" which appears to mean thin.... Maybe if you have a sympathetic conservation officer and time you will be OK but if the property needs a lot of work I'd see if the officer can visit with you to give you advice on what you will and won't be able to do.

Relaxedandhappyperson Wed 19-Jun-13 18:26:44

No. It's not just exterior, the entire property is listed inside and outside, and permission must be got to do major stuff plus some unexpected less major stuff. Get a guide and refer to it lots.

It's not much hassle though. Just get your solicitors to ask whether listed building consent was sought/obtained for works BEFORE you buy it and if the answer is no get indemnity insurance or the council's view on the matter. Very important when you come to sell bad recent experience.

Goal Wed 19-Jun-13 18:23:17

Noooooo it's going to be a lot of hassle f you want to change anything!

rubyrubyruby Wed 19-Jun-13 18:21:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now