Talk

Advanced search

What floor to install ourselves in small utility?

(12 Posts)
sleepcrisis Wed 12-Jun-13 08:55:28

Quotes for fitting even a roll of cheap lino are coming back extortionate so we will be installing ourselves.

Now we are cutting out the labour costs I am tempted to get a better floor. We are pretty capable but don't want to be at it for days on end. It's only 4-5 m sq.

Would laminate be a bad choice considering there will be a sink in there?
Or hard vinyl tiles eg Karndean be better? Are they easy to install?
Also we are limited to B&Q stock as only have a week to get this done and ordering in will take too ling.

thanks!

nostress Wed 12-Jun-13 10:03:04

I put laminate in and regretted it! Leaking fridge/washing machine has caused lifting. I'd tile!

Mum2Pea Wed 12-Jun-13 10:08:58

we are tiling as think it is more hard wearing for leaks etc (dh works in flooring and believes this is most sensible)

primallass Wed 12-Jun-13 10:09:38

We have the B&Q slate effect laminate (in the third house running now). I like it, and it is easy/cheap to replace.

sleepcrisis Wed 12-Jun-13 10:11:25

Hmm. Thanks for replies. I'm not sure ruling is an option as a) we don't have clearance under doors etc and b) I'm not sure we could manage that ourselves. But we'll definitely looki into it, maybe I could push myself!

FiveSugarsPlease Wed 12-Jun-13 10:20:25

Hi.

I used B and Q value self adhesive vinyl planks for one small bathroom - and it's amazing! I now have it all over the house in various colours.

It has lasted far longer than my expensive linoleum ever did and it is so easy to lay.

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/flooring/vinyl-flooring/vinyl_tiles___planks/-specificproducttype-vinyl_planks/B-and-Q-Value-Vinyl-Plank-9410605

There's much more choice in store of different shades.

FiveSugarsPlease Wed 12-Jun-13 10:20:39

www.diy.com/nav/decor/flooring/vinyl-flooring/vinyl_tiles___planks/-specificproducttype-vinyl_planks/B-and-Q-Value-Vinyl-Plank-9410605

Link again

sleepcrisis Wed 12-Jun-13 10:49:53

Thanks. What was the surface like that you laid onto? Ours is concrete but could probably to with a screed which I'm not sure I could manage?!

lljkk Wed 12-Jun-13 11:40:03

DH tiled our utility room floor with real ceramic, I don't think it was expensive. Just his careful labour (didn't take too long either).

GrendelsMum Wed 12-Jun-13 12:20:27

DH, DFiL and I tiled our utility floor ourselves one Saturday. The bit before we went to the pub is great - the bit after we came back from the pub, not so much. Still, we put the fridge on top of that bit.

poocatcherchampion Wed 12-Jun-13 16:45:01

how much is extortionate for fitting? out of interest as we will need to do this,so I'm watching this thread with interest..

sleepcrisis Wed 12-Jun-13 19:27:18

Well, it prob won't give you any idea as we are not in the UK. But we were quoted a totally of £400ish inc Lino, to lay 5m2 of £17psm Lino. So £300 for fitting.

Tiling also costs a bomb here. In fact any labour does and there isn't a lot to choose from so they can get away with it.

I think we're going with laminate, purely because I don't think I can get screeding etc done in a short time. Laminate I can just roll out underlay and click click click. I think smile the floor is mostly cement but we realised today that only half the floor is cement and half is wood. With a gap in between.No idea why. But presumably we'd have to lay a base first before tile adhesive?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now