Talk

Advanced search

Boiler in the loft...would you?

(28 Posts)
Annie456 Tue 11-Jun-13 22:27:37

Quick poll as my parents are having a new boiler and have been advised that the only place they can really have it is in the loft (but with control panel in more accessible living areas).
My dad is worried that it will put people off buying the house...would it put you off?

lalalonglegs Tue 11-Jun-13 22:35:07

It would put PigletJohn off - he'll be along soon to tell you himself grin.

wonkylegs Wed 12-Jun-13 08:17:31

No. If it's a combi with an outflow pipe then it is likely to freeze and stop working in winter. Easy to fix if you can reach it but if it's in the loft it's too high up to reach on outside and therefore you need to wait until it defrosts on it's own.
Neighbours have this problem and each winter curse the plumber who suggested this position as they usually have a good few days without central heating.

Mrsladybirdface Wed 12-Jun-13 08:48:33

we have but ours is a bungalow, so can reach the overflow with a hair dryer easilygrin

PigletJohn Wed 12-Jun-13 10:01:13

awful idea.

A modern boiler need be no larger than a kitchen wall-cabinet and can go in a corner. It needs to be close to gas, water and an internal drain, such as a sink waste. An internal pipe will not freeze.

If somebody tells you they haven't got room, don't believe them.

spanky2 Wed 12-Jun-13 10:05:54

We had to have it in the loft as the old one was on an internal wall. I prefer it up there as I worry about carbon monoxide .

spanky2 Wed 12-Jun-13 10:06:57

We have a worcestor Bosch . Not a combi .

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Wed 12-Jun-13 10:07:10

I'm debating doing this as well.

The plumber told me he could fit something to it (I can't remember what he called it) that would prevent the overflow pipe from freezing up.

leddeeburdee Wed 12-Jun-13 10:10:30

We have a combi boiler in the loft. We had it put there 6 years ago and have never experienced a single problem with it; the pipes have certainly never frozen. We get it serviced annually, keep a carbon monoxide alarm in the loft and it's been totally fine.

CinnamonAddict Wed 12-Jun-13 10:16:09

Yes it would put me off.
It means running a gas pipe all the way through the house. Don't like that idea at all. Gas supply is under the stairs normally.

Where is their current boiler? Why can't it go there?

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Wed 12-Jun-13 10:20:28

leddee - that's good to know - thanks smile

Cinnamon - that's a mighty big assumption - not a single person I know has their gas supply under the stairs. IF I put mine in the loft it would go directly up from the supply in the kitchen and along the loft to the outside wall.

wonkylegs Wed 12-Jun-13 11:49:37

spanky2 WB is the manufacturer, combi is the type of boiler - 2 different things.

nocake Wed 12-Jun-13 18:45:39

And it's not only combi boilers that need a drain. All modern condensing boilers need them (which is effectively all new domestic boilers).

We're buying a house with the boiler in the loft. I'd rather it was elsewhere but I'm not too bothered.

Wuldric Wed 12-Jun-13 18:54:24

Moved the boiler into the loft 15 years ago. In fairness, we did have a very big bathroom but we were dividing it to form an en-suite for the spare bedroom. So we needed the space and the only way we could have a shower separate from the bath was to move the boiler.

Never had a single problem. It's fine, don't worry. I reckon my potential purchasers will be more happy with the nice big separate shower cubicle than they would with an over-bath shower and the boiler in the bathroom.

MrsTaraPlumbing Thu 13-Jun-13 18:49:40

Any heating engineer will tell you loft is last resort for boiler and try to avoid.
If you do go for it at the very least you also need the area boarded for working on - for heating engineers to work on the boiler.
A fixed loft ladder.
a Permanent light - not a torch.
but really, just don't do it.

Popcornia Thu 13-Jun-13 22:53:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MirandaWest Thu 13-Jun-13 22:54:54

The boiler here is in the attic (rented house). Been here three years and has been OK so far <keeps fingers crossed>

PigletJohn Thu 13-Jun-13 23:38:44

in UK houses, there is usually a loft (not an attic) which is not built to habitable standards.

Hence it is outside the insulated envelope of the house (insulation is on the ceiling below which forms the "floor" of the loft, but...) there is generally not a floor; neither is there a staircase, and there is usually not fixed lighting. The temperature is usually unbearably cold in winter and unbearably hot in summer.

Companies offering service contracts on boilers generally require that there is (at least) a fixed ladder, floor and handrails so their workers are not at risk of falling, or stepping through the ceiling, and good fixed lighting so they can see what they are doing.

Modern gas boilers can be so small and quiet that it is difficult to find a house that truly does not have room.

MirandaWest Thu 13-Jun-13 23:42:59

Am genuinely curious - what is the difference between a loft and an attic? I've always called the space under the roof the attic.

PigletJohn Fri 14-Jun-13 00:06:21

an attic is a habitable room and will have a floor and some kind of ceiling, would normally have a staircase and a few windows. In older houses there will be no insulation though.

In Edwardian and older houses the domestic servants might have slept there, in bitter cold.

A loft is just the space enclosed by the roof.

LondonBus Fri 14-Jun-13 00:08:16

I know of a Gas Safe engineer who had this in their own bungalow....it seemed to sell OK.

PigletJohn Fri 14-Jun-13 00:09:04

terminology is different in US, and may vary by regions in UK.

Annie456 Sun 16-Jun-13 19:52:14

Thanks folks, great set of answers. I showed my dad and he's now thinking of having a normal boiler (not combi) so he can keep it downstairs....I'm glad as I'm in the "it would put me off" camp!

herethereandeverywhere Sun 16-Jun-13 21:44:42

I hate boilers in the kitchen, ugly waste of space in a prime living area, especially when retro-fitting so not at the same time as having the kitchen units fitted etc. Generally this means messy looking pipe runs and some sort of cobbled together cupboard - my last flat had a cupboard lined with asbestos tiles (nice!) to make it fire-retardant. So to be honest it would be this option that put me off.

I bow to Piglet John's superior technical knowledge on the downsides of them going in a loft but we put one in the loft (albeit of a 1st floor flat) and had no problems with the boiler or with selling the flat within 24hrs of it going on the market (in 2010).

Ragusa Mon 17-Jun-13 22:49:08

Oops, never knew this was an issue.... ours is up there and seemed fine during v cold winters past. Worriex about the drain freezing now.....Eek. Parents have this too altho they have an attic.

Our heating engineer gave us several options, previous boiler was sited in DS's bedroom cupboard. He wasn't keen on refitting it there....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: