Talk

Advanced search

Bathroom window - frosted or not?

(11 Posts)
wattogirl Tue 11-Jun-13 10:56:26

We are about to replace our bathroom window. The bathroom is at the front of the house and the window is currently frosted, which means it doesn't match the other windows. I am thinking of not having the new one frosted, but will need some means of 'preserving modesty'!

I think venetian blinds would be fine, but DH is not keen. Roller blinds wouldn't be any good as we would have to have them down all the time. Maybe some sort of semi-transparent roller blind? Net curtains are a no. Or some other way of obscuring the glass?

Anyone got any good ideas?

didireallysaythat Tue 11-Jun-13 11:00:51

You could get a plain window and some of the stick on frosting so you can change it when you fancy. Stuff like this http://www.purlfrost.com/ - I saw a rainbow bathroom window that looked great (although probably better for a house with kids..)

Fragglewump Tue 11-Jun-13 11:02:18

I don't like swirly pattern frosted glass but also don't like people seeing my bod whilst abluting so went for plain frosted...like acid etching all over which I don't hate as much. The advantage is that it's lovely and light- if you use blinds you'll have to put the light on all the time!

wattogirl Tue 11-Jun-13 11:33:06

Thanks both for the replies - didi have you used the stick on frosting? Is it easy to apply?

Fraggle do you mean an effect similar to the stick on frosting, but not stick on iyswim? (sorry to be so dense). You've hit the nail on the head, I want the glass frosted but not swirly patterned.

wonkylegs Tue 11-Jun-13 16:10:30

Semi Opaque Blinds
Or how about bottom up blinds

wattogirl Tue 11-Jun-13 16:37:03

bottom up blinds - great idea - thanks wonky

dottygamekeeper Tue 11-Jun-13 17:35:33

I have just had some of the plain frosted glass installed in our downstairs bathroom and it is great - very light from the inside, and from the outside it is not very obviously different from the other windows. The builders merchant who made up the frames from me offered it in plain frosted, various Victorian patterns, stars etc. I thought about the film, but was worried that as it is in a wet room, near the shower, it might peel. I didn't want a blind as again I thought it would get wet, and also like the sleek look that we now have inside the window, which has been tiled. I was surprised at how quick, easy and reasonably priced (IMO) it was to get the frosted panes made up.

DIddled Tue 11-Jun-13 22:43:15

Sorry how much for plain frosted in a small narrow window please? And where from? Thanks

MousyMouse Tue 11-Jun-13 22:52:30

we will get the new bathroom window in a few weeks time and it's not frosted.
we figured that you would have to have blinds/shutters/curtains anyway because frosting will still show shadows esp at night.
we will probably go for plisse blinds that you can move anywhere up or down the window.

dottygamekeeper Tue 11-Jun-13 23:31:22

I am in East Anglia and used Kent Blaxill (branches in Colchester, Ipswich, Woodbridge, not sure if anywhere else). I had 3 panes, each double glazed, 4mm glass, 6 mm spacer, 4 mm glass, I think, with interior pane frosted, 266mm wide x 418 mm high, total cost for the three £89, made up within a week. I have no idea whether this is a good price or not as I didn't shop around, my builder recommended them (and I have used them for other things), but it was less than I was expecting to pay. I had also looked at the price of the stick on film and thought it was relatively expensive for what is effectively a giant sticker and I was not sure about its lifespan.

If you look on the Kent Blaxill website there is an online catalogue that shows all the different types of glass that they do (patterned ie swirly/textured in all different shapes, frosted - so smooth and plain etched looking, and then the Victorian patterned etched styles). I am sure other builders merchants would do similar.

We are not overlooked at all, so didn't worry about shadows at night.

Goldretro Thu 30-Jul-15 11:30:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now