Eye-watering removal quote

(22 Posts)
perrinelli Fri 07-Jun-13 15:05:59

Just had 2 quotes for packing and moving us from sw London out to Home Counties. One came back about £2500, the other £2800! Loads more than I was expecting really. They're both local companies that were recommended to me. We're going from an average sized 3 bed end of terrace, though we do have appliances to move and a fairly full shed. Would be interested to know if people think this sounds way too much! Don't want to scrimp on it but getting on for £3k seems ridiculous!

OrchidFlakes Fri 07-Jun-13 16:09:25

Have a look at M25 movers, see if they serve your area. They just moved us and we're brilliant

valiumredhead Fri 07-Jun-13 16:32:34

Have a look at JAMES, we used them when we moved from LOndon and they were fantastic.

allaflutter Fri 07-Jun-13 18:35:06

that's a very normal cost for sw london and this size house! you might find someone cheaper but not a well establisjed company, more like a tiny family firm.

Misty9 Fri 07-Jun-13 21:21:46

Yep, sounds about right I'm afraid. Packing is very expensive and the local firms tend to not be much cheaper than the nationals in packing and moving. Get some quotes from man with van type companies - check gumtree etc. we've used them several times now (different cities) and generally very reliable. Some even pack grin

perrinelli Fri 07-Jun-13 21:47:20

Thanks for your help. If that's the going rate then that's what it is. I just had a lower expectation in mind after talking to friends and looking on here. I'd rather go with one that's been personally recommended but will get a couple more quotes and compare. Because there's a big gap between exchange & completion the sorting/throwing out hadn't happened yet and there's a fair bit I'm planning to get rid of. House is also quite messy currently. Maybe that affected quote & I should have had a clearout first?

MrsTaraPlumbing Fri 07-Jun-13 22:25:24

When you talk to others about their own much lower moving costs there could be a number of factors different:
1. Distance.
2. Location (when I moved from London I found the into or out of London created a big price jump).
2. Some people are using low budget Man & Wan who may not have the experience, insurance, & man-power that the professional removal companies are offering you. So may not be like with like.

Be clear - are you expected to help with the removal or is the company offering the complete service.

valiumredhead Fri 07-Jun-13 23:25:42

We paid £1,200 iirc with James from London to The Midands - huge first floor flat with no lift but the amount of stuff we filled 2 of the massive removal lorries. That quote included them packing and emptying our 2 huge lofts. I can't imagine the price will have doubled in 5 years tbh so give them a call as they really were excellent, I know 2 friends that have used them too, both were pleased.

valiumredhead Fri 07-Jun-13 23:26:55

www.jamesremovals.com

superlambanana Sat 08-Jun-13 00:07:51

How long is it taking? If it's more than a day that'll be your price. We've just found that out!

Jan49 Sat 08-Jun-13 00:08:39

Your quotations sound a bit high to me unless there's some reason why being SW London really bumps up the cost.

I've moved in the past year. The company we used charged about £600 from our house to local store and £1300 from store to new home 200 miles away, both 3 bed houses in the South. I got 4 removal quotes and the local companies were much cheaper. I had 2 quotes of around £4k!

greenfolder Sat 08-Jun-13 01:06:18

dont go for cheap option. we did once as we were moving round the corner. Laurel and Hardy turned up.

Parietal Sat 08-Jun-13 03:04:37

It is much cheaper if you pack non-fragile things (books clothes toys) yourself. Movers save time & you save paying their wages. They will provide boxes 1 week in advance.

I've always had them pack the breakables (china, pictures, valuables) but I pack non breakables. Recent quote for move of 4 bed house (not London) = £1600ish.

Goodwordguide Sat 08-Jun-13 08:18:21

We moved from SW London to Suffolk, used Les Hinks Removals, total cost was £700 (we packed ourselves, would have been £900 otherwise). They were great, definitely recommend them. We moved from a 3-bed end of terrace but had a lot of stuff.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Sat 08-Jun-13 09:24:16

We're using a BAR registered removal company for peace if mind

Winceywoo Sat 08-Jun-13 11:01:44

We paid £1800 two years ago for a local move. Took the team of four 2 days to move us but I did all the packing. They provided all the boxes, bubble wrap, tissue etc. think it was an extra £300 if they had packed for us. I didn't like the idea of them going through my stuff though. We moved from 4 bed to 5 bed and had loads of garden stuff too. I definitely would not recommend scrimping on this part of moving house. Friend of mine paid a fraction of this and had a nightmare experience. Good luck.

valiumredhead Sat 08-Jun-13 14:21:43

Personally I would never pack when that part of the total quote is so low-worth every penny.

JassyRadlett Sat 08-Jun-13 22:51:51

We moved with Bushells in SW London - move was just down the road, going via our storage locker but was all a couple of miles.

With packing was £1100. They were fab.

Noseynoonoo Sat 08-Jun-13 22:57:21

I'd recommend F Smith & Sons. Very reasonable and professional.

perrinelli Sun 09-Jun-13 23:00:48

Thankyou for all the recommendations. One of the companies mentioned was one that has quoted already. Maybe August is a popular moving time and this affects price too? We are also going quite far. We will definitely use someone BAR registered and will want a full packing service, I agree that this is not something to scrimp on so may just need to accept it, depending on the other quote or two I'm going to get!

superlambanana Mon 10-Jun-13 20:06:55

Definitely try local companies - I managed to find someone to love us at last (all officially registered etc and good testimonials) for £800 less than a national company! Still costing £1400 though... But for full pack and 150 mile move over 1.5 days it's not too bad!

sfc1 Mon 06-Jun-16 06:53:01

Hi, who did you use yin move you in the end and were they any good?
Best wishes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now