Advanced search

House buying conundrum

(79 Posts)
WireCatWhore Wed 05-Jun-13 15:52:56

We sold last week & also had an offer accepted on a house we want.

Vendors estate agents been a bit weird.

I got the impression maybe the vendors were going to pull out. So I put a hold on the survey.

I got notice of a house to market so as this present house was a bit up in the air, I decided to view, just in case.

Bloody hell.

I prefer this house I have just viewed. It's much better located. It's nicer.

It's not perfect but then neither is the 1st house.

Naturally, 1st house is still definitely available.

So I'm stuck now. I'd feel bad to pull out. This house has also been on for 8 months. Also these vendors need to find somewhere.

The house I recently saw, the vendors have somewhere to go. There would be no chain really. We have cash buyers, no chain.

Would I be the worlds most horrible person if I pulled out of the 1st house?

I'd hate it to happen to me, so I'd feel terrible. And yet, this is a lot of money & where we will live, so it's a HUGE decision.


Bettyboop0801 Wed 16-Nov-16 19:46:20

Ladies.... Help me pls! I live in Essex currently and want to move North...can anyone recommend villages and areas around Durham pls? Also reviews on Thornley would be good also? Xxxx

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Tue 02-Jul-13 16:41:41

Thanks Wirecat. How's your house going? Are surveys and things happening?

WireCat Tue 02-Jul-13 13:23:56

Good luck for Friday!

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Mon 01-Jul-13 19:08:07

I think so. It's more a case of enormously time consuming than a large cost, and we could probably do bits as they need doing.

We've finally had a reply about house number 1 saying no negotiation, so we've officially pulled out. Still not heard back on number 2.

Incredibly (and yes this is a different EA!) we put an offer in on lovely house (we could only afford it if they would accept an offer) and we got a reply on the same day!! Ok, so it was a no (expected), but still, nice to know EAs can do what you expect.

We're going to go and have a look at the other one again on Friday. The more I think about it the more excited I am about it. Yes it's more work, but we can really make it ours.

Fingers crossed we still like it on the second viewing.

WireCat Sun 30-Jun-13 15:01:38

I'd love original features. Do you have the time/money to sort that house out if you bought it?

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Sat 29-Jun-13 16:23:21

Thanks wirecat, we've been to see 3 more today (decided to take the bull by the horns) and 2 of them are definite contenders. One was just lovely and would need nothing doing to it. The other was a lot of work (not looked after at all) but huge and had beautiful original features (if you could look past the piles of rubbish).

I'm feeling a bit more hopeful that we will find something.

WireCat Wed 26-Jun-13 20:58:31

Hmm, slimey EA.

Good luck, hope you do actually hear back this time.

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Wed 26-Jun-13 18:50:33

Thanks wirecat smile

We're going to view a few more.

Called EA of number 1 today to say that having heard nothing we assume the worst so are pulling out. He insists he never received email (although can't deny the 2 bloody phone calls asking the same things!) and asked for it to be resent before we make a decision. So we've resent and left it at that again. Should have just pulled out really <sigh>

No more news smile you'll be completing before we find one!

WireCat Tue 25-Jun-13 13:01:56

Yeah, don't bother with house no1 youknow.

I also viewed a disappointing g house. Looked wonderful on paper, but very small inside.

Hopefully you'll get somewhere with house no2.

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Mon 24-Jun-13 19:24:22

Hi wirecat, still no contact from house number 1!

House number 2 Estate agents have been in touch but not heard back from sellers yet.

House number 3 was tiny and terribly laid out (think Enormous ensuite bathroom next to bedroom so small you could only fit a bed in). We were so disappointed.

Think we'll be phoning EA number 1 tomorrow and saying that since we've had no reply to our queries either by phone or email we'll assume there is no room for negotiation and pull out.

WireCat Sat 22-Jun-13 22:03:18

I pulled out of the 1st house before offering on the 2nd.
Then we saw the 3rd so went for that.

youknow, can't believe you still don't have an answer.

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Sat 22-Jun-13 10:04:26

Posted too soon!

Second house we're still waiting to see if put offer might be accepted (could go out of price range anyway).

Third house I would wait for offer to be accepted (if we Make one) before pulling out of the others. But they are all with different estate agents. If they were with the same one that would be more difficult.

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Sat 22-Jun-13 10:02:02

Hello float, still waiting for estate agent on house number 1 to get back to us (2 weeks later!). We've left it as "due to amount of work needing doing is the price negotiable since if not we'll be pulling out". Sec

YouFloatLikeAFeather Fri 21-Jun-13 09:48:00

So to those of you who have viewed/offered on second houses, do you withdraw from the first house before offering on the second? Or have two offers simultaneously?

Asking as we are potentially in a very similar situation.


YouKnowOfTheCrunch Thu 20-Jun-13 21:49:48

And in a similar vein to you wirecat; come on down house number 3!

Have just seen what might be the perfect house. No work to do on it. A huge garden. Perfect location. Will be phoning the estate agent first thing for a viewing.

We're still waiting to hear back on number 2 but now I can't decide!

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Tue 18-Jun-13 17:41:25

I just want to know what's going on. I thought we were at the bidding stage only to be told it's all done.

Could be miscommunication as it seems we're being told different things by different EAs. Just need to not panic!

WireCat Tue 18-Jun-13 17:18:19

Sounds very bizarre.

I hope the EA didn't go back with the higher offer as they've accepted the lower offer.

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Tue 18-Jun-13 17:14:36

Hi wirecat. We just spoke to the estate agent who said that the buyers were "considering accepting" the other offer. Having discussed it we then phoned back with a higher offer and the woman we spoke to said "oh we've just posted out an acceptance of the other offer". Which seems really odd. So we've put in a higher offer (and would be willing to go up again if need be) but I'm really worried.

It's all very odd. We asked in the first place whether it was a case of "closed bidding" or something and they said no, to just make offers as normal.

I will be devastated if we don't get it.

WireCat Tue 18-Jun-13 11:11:18

Wars happening with your house youknow?

WireCat Sun 16-Jun-13 15:59:02

Thanks all.

I'm very excited!

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Sat 15-Jun-13 22:07:03

WireCat that's great news - congratulations - I hope it all goes smoothly!

YouKnowOfTheCrunch Sat 15-Jun-13 21:51:41

Wirecat that's great news. I know what you mean, i
I'll be very glad when I don't have to deal with estate agents anymore.

Thanks nemno.
Think we might need it!

nemno Sat 15-Jun-13 10:40:02

What a lovely feeling that is WireCat smile Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.

Good luck YouKnow

WireCat Sat 15-Jun-13 09:43:28

*even not Fen (?!)

WireCat Sat 15-Jun-13 09:43:03

youknow I think it's rude not to at least phone and update you. Fen if the vendors haven't made a decision.

Our house is showing Sold STC today grin

I love this house. I am Very Happy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now