Talk

Advanced search

Any plumbers out there - would love advice on tumble dryer vent issue

(4 Posts)
EugenesAxe Tue 28-May-13 12:43:21

I am thinking of buying a tumble dryer and was about to purchase a vented Bosch Classixx model, but thought I should just double check our vent dimensions (we only recently bought this house).

It's currently covered by a plastic grille thing that I can't easily get off, but I can see enough of the hole to estimate a diameter of about 5" - the problem is that Bosch models come with a vent of 4" dia. The people here before had an industrial spec washing machine and tumble dryer imported from the US; not your usual domestic thing.

So I'm wondering if I should just not risk it and buy the condenser model, or whether it would not matter that much. I'm not sure if it would an easy thing to reduce the size of the hole with foam or some such thing.

I'd be really grateful for advice!

PigletJohn Tue 28-May-13 12:52:55

vented are generally cheaper and more reliable, and less trouble to use and maintain.

If you have a 5" vent through the wall, you can buy a 5" to 4" adaptor. Builders or plumbers merchants will have it.
www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_search=ducting+reducer

I would fit a cowl vent on the outside as well to keep the weather out.

You could poke the 4" hose into the 5" duct but it would tend to come loose and suffer from condensation damp.

EugenesAxe Tue 28-May-13 13:17:29

Thanks very much PigletJohn. Yes!! I'm excited now about owning a tumble dryer. I think we already have a cowl vent.... if that is a slatted plastic thing that has protrusions that curl over the slats, anyway.

PigletJohn Tue 28-May-13 15:25:42

if it has slats like a little venetian blind, they are very prone to rattle annoyingly in the wind for a short time until they fall off

If yours dose that, have a look on that website at cowl vents which a single large flap.

Possibly yours has a better one to suit the 6" duct.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now