Advanced search

Recommended builder / damp specialist for Victorian house in N London

(2 Posts)
Poosnu Tue 28-May-13 08:58:30

We have a mid terraced Victorian (1860s) house in North London. The basement is a separate flat and we let it out. It is currently between tenants, after a four year tenancy, so we are getting some work done.

There are two issues:

1) There are a couple of damp of damp patches in the hall. A couple of years ago the moisture in the flat was quite bad and DH had a "damp specialist" put in a damp proof course (I assume this was what it was - DH said that someone injected something into the wall). We also had a dehumidifier running for a while and the problem disappeared. The damp patches have now returned. One is at the base of the hall next to the bathroom. The other is about a metre above the floor, in the same spot as previously.

2) There is a cupboard under the external stairs to the upper maisonette. This cupboard is a real disgrace - the render on the walls is buckling and it is black with mould. Our builder has recommended stripping the walls, and re-rendering with added waterproofer. I'm concerned that this would just trap the moisture in the brick walls leading to the same problem five years down the line.

I should be grateful for any thoughts you have on this, and if you can recommend any builders who are knowledgeable about period properties it would be great. Our builder does a reasonable job but I'm not sure how good he is about diagnosing issues like this.

MinimalistMommi Tue 28-May-13 11:17:40

Google uk.
They're an independent good company. Check out their website and have a read and see what you think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now