Talk

Advanced search

what do you dream of most in your new home?

(24 Posts)
poocatcherchampion Mon 27-May-13 12:13:35

my list is long but at the moment it is a toss up between:

1) separate rooms so general junk from upstairs, hall, shopping does not congregate in the sitting room

2) French windows /bifold doors

3) downstairs loo

4) kitchen diner.

oh even the shortlist is long! what about you?

Misty9 Mon 27-May-13 21:36:27

Kitchen/breakfast room with doors to the garden
Upstairs loo grin
Spare bedroom
Light and airy feel
Better insulation!
Entrance hallway
Off street parking
Room for a dishwasher

Doesn't bode well for our imminent house-hunting does it?!

LastButOneSplash Tue 28-May-13 08:23:39

The patio doors
3(!!) bedrooms. 3!
Space to move
Space on kitchen work surfaces
Peace and quiet

I move in soon grin

emblon Tue 28-May-13 08:25:05

It has been a very very long search for us but we've finally found our forever home. We haven't exchanged contracts yet, but I'm starting to dream..

A garage where I can put my bike and wheel it out rather than have to wrestle it out from a shed the size of a shoe box (and then wrestle it back in at the end of my ride).

A room I can call my own, where I can leave all my junk/laptop/part finished craft projects/part read books/ in permanent, uninterrupted and joyous disarray.

Yes I am a bit odd.

Madamecastafiore Tue 28-May-13 08:27:05

Laundry chute. Omg would this save countless trips around the house and yelling at the kids to bring their dirties down.

MoreBeta Tue 28-May-13 08:32:50

Having bought my first and ony home just 3 weeks ago I now dream of waving a magic wand and it all being renovated and lovely like in on one of those period home magazines. I have never actually done DIY or even painted a door in my life.

The house is stood empty and smells, looks, feels, sounds like I will be looking forward to a never ending hell of dealing with long overdue and bodged repairs. I wil die before it is done.

I also want a downstairs loo.

Not moving in soon. sad

Boonyjinkies Tue 28-May-13 08:43:31

Downstairs loo and shower.
Extra reception room downstairs.
Dishwasher.
A drive without weeds.

Surely that's do-able!

noisytoys Tue 28-May-13 09:09:22

Garage

Garden

Own entrance

No freeholder or management company to deal with

rubyrubyruby Tue 28-May-13 09:17:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

startlife Tue 28-May-13 11:13:12

Spare bedroom or study space.
Good storage for bedding.
Large utility room
No condensation!
A pretty looking housesmile

Turnipinatutu Tue 28-May-13 14:15:02

Space, a lovely garden and a view.

Barbabeau Tue 28-May-13 14:17:38

A new kitchen and wooden floors throughout. I wish our garden was about 10 feet longer but other than that I love our place.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 28-May-13 14:20:43

My own loo.

Everyone else having their own loo.

Not cleaning anyone else's shite stains from the loo.

Presenting the fuckers I live with their own sponge/ cleaning fluid and NOT going in there EVER again.

middleagedspread Tue 28-May-13 15:23:24

In my fantasy house I would have
His & hers bathrooms
His & hers dressing rooms
and a housekeeper to keep it all lovely. I'm happy to cook & do the ironing though.

Realistically we want:
Kids: big garden for kids and dog
DH: garage so husband can have man-cave
Me: kitchen/diner

Fantasy we would love to also have:
Kids: playroom for the kids downstairs
Me: writing room for me anywhere
DH: double garage so husband can have extra large man-cave grin

Complete ideal world, i.e. lottery win:
big enough house for my best friend to move in so each of our families can have our own wing but communal living space downstairs <dreams on>

flow4 Tue 28-May-13 18:01:25

Must-haves: light and airy; big kitchen or kitchen diner; separate sitting room; garden I can walk straight out into from the living or dining room or kitchen, on the same level as the house (surprisingly hard to find in a hilly area!); French doors or the potential to put them in; 3 decent bedrooms - not 2 plus a box room!

Important but could do without one of them if everything else is good: garage; secluded garden; downstairs loo or potential to put it in; potential to add conservatory/garden room, or nice one already there; view.

Good to have: loft conversion; woodburner or potential to put one in; 4th bedroom; extra downstairs room.

Hmmm, I'm starting to see why I've been looking so long!

ItsAllTLAsToMe Tue 28-May-13 18:19:38

Utility room
Kitchen/diner
Non-bloody spa bath

middleagedspread Tue 28-May-13 18:36:08

itsall, why don't you like your spa bath? I've always lusted after one?

poocatcherchampion Tue 28-May-13 19:22:45

ooh wood burner... wooden floors...yum!

hugoagogo Tue 28-May-13 19:32:52

Spare bedroom for me to escape to when dh is snoring.
Door handles that do not fall off.
Utility room for cat shit litter tray.
Our own back gate + shed for bikes.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Tue 28-May-13 20:04:26

middle, I find it impossible to keep clean! The bits I can see are manky / intricate / nigh on impossible to keep clean. I shudder to think what the bits I can't see look like, although sometimes sheets of glop float into the bath so I have a rough idea.

I can't imagine anything less hygienic than a spa bath grin. I'm going to blast it with an escalating arsenal of cleaning products when we leave (which is very soon, Woop!).

wheredidiputit Tue 28-May-13 20:09:36

A large garden for the children to have their treehouse/climbing frames swings.

A large playroom for them.

A large kitchen/breakfast room with utility room/pantry.

A upstairs utility room for all the washing/drying & Ironing. So I don't have carry the washing up and downstairs all the time.

To have 5 good size bedrooms.

A good size family bathroom and en suite maybe 2.

And a annexe for my mum to live in.

rubyrubyruby Tue 28-May-13 22:52:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Reastie Wed 29-May-13 08:34:44

I'd love a utility room, garage, big kitchen diner with doors out to the garden and a range cooker, a second bathroom, underfloor heating, water softener, one of those boiling water taps, and a slave to clean/tidy up behind us grin

But tbh what is really high up on my list is a beautiful view from the windows. My parents have the most lovely view from their house and I'm so envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now