Talk

Advanced search

Listed buillding question - windows?

(6 Posts)
inthesark Mon 27-May-13 10:43:25

We're doing up a listed house, a process which included replacing some of the windows.

Now I completely understand that, normally, we wouldn't be able to install double glazing. But the house - particularly the rear where these windows are going - was substantially bodged altered by the council in the 1960s and so the windows are already double glazed.

Can he ask us to put this back to single glazing? Or rather, he has, and is this allowed?

I mind partly because one of the affected windows is in the bathroom, and I don't much want to make that any colder than it is.

flow4 Mon 27-May-13 10:59:01

I'm no expert, but I live in an area where there are a lot of listed buildings (17th C) and they all seem to have double glazing. They don't (mostly) have UPVC tho' - they have wooden made-to-measure double-glazed windows which have been hand-made to mimic the original style.

nocake Mon 27-May-13 15:15:22

Yes, they can tell you to fit windows appropriate to the original style of the house but you can always discuss and negotiate. There are companies who fit double glazed units in wooden sash windows and unless you get close you can't tell they're double glazed. Or you could fit secondary double glazing inside the window. Don't forget, a well made single glazed window with high performance glass is still better than the old single glazed windows we remember from our childhood.

middleagedspread Mon 27-May-13 16:15:24

We're doing up a listed house. A condition of planning a small extension was to replace the UPVC windows downstairs (put in 1970 without PP) with hand made metal to fit stone mullions. Double glazing not allowed, but secondary glazing is.

inthesark Mon 27-May-13 17:20:12

Nocake - thank you, good to know but it's annoying. The two windows concerned are in the kitchen and bathroom so there will be loads of condensation, which is what bothers me most. It's tempting just to say that we'll leave those windows as they are and just paint them (would save a whole lot of scaffolding bother too).

Apparently, Chelsea Royal Hospital - Grate I listed - has double glazed windows. So why our old wreck can't I don't know.

OodPi Mon 27-May-13 17:45:42

We had a set selection of windows to choose from as we had crap 1970s ones. If the house already had one of the 'approved' ones then they couldn't change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now