Talk

Advanced search

overflow pipe running?

(9 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sun 26-May-13 14:46:27

the overflow pipe at the top of the house is running, what does this mean? do i need to fix something urgently? I've just had the hose on watering the New turf and it started then, does thatmean something different?

nocake Sun 26-May-13 17:25:00

You need to go into the loft and find out which tank is overflowing. It will be either your cold water tank (very big) or your heating header tank (small). The problem will probably be the ball valve so you need to either replace it all or the bit that is faulty. Sometimes the balls leak and get full of water so they don't float. In this case you can unscrew the ball and fit a new one. More likely, the valve has developed a fault and isn't shutting off properly so will need to be replaced.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sun 26-May-13 18:31:34

ah man im not going in Tue loft.

can it wait til Tuesday?

specialsubject Sun 26-May-13 18:37:48

why aren't you going in the loft? Happy to waste a lot of water? Happy to risk the ceiling falling in?

turn off the water then. Of course this will be inconvenient for a few days.

nocake Sun 26-May-13 18:38:27

Probably, although it's worth checking that the overflow is keeping the level down in the tank and the water isn't overflowing into the loft. If that happens it could bring down a ceiling!

Why can't you go in the loft?

80sMum Sun 26-May-13 18:44:04

Sometimes all you need to do is carefully bend the ballcock arm so that the tank doesn't fill up quit so far. Or sometimes it gets stuck in the up position and you just need to jiggle it so it floats again.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sun 26-May-13 18:50:55

i can't physically get in there my ladder isn't high enough. and im a little scared tbh. I've never been in a loft before blush

should i just call a plumber out?

it isn't constantly running, it stopped as soon as i ran a tap and hasn't started since.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 26-May-13 18:52:15

Can you ask one of your neighbours if they have a ladder / to help you? I really wouldn't leave it until Tuesday!

nocake Sun 26-May-13 18:54:04

I agree, time to make friends with a neighbour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now