Advanced search

Moving Services

(18 Posts)

First Time Buyers - complete in 13 days!

So this morning I have done the 'Home Move' with BT (will activate on move in day) and with Sky (two weeks after move in). Is there anyone else that anyone can think of who I need to notify now for a home move? confused

We have mobile contracts
Will be leaving current energy provider (meter reading as we hand over the keys)
Tv Licence - can it carry over to new address confused
Tax Credits/Child Benefit
National Trust (membership)
Council Tax - do i call and tell them I have moved, pay by DD
Car Insurance
Home Insurance - to be cancelled as new policy will kick in

Anything anyone else can think? Thanks smile

didireallysaythat Sat 25-May-13 09:04:06

Good list. Maybe just

Health visitor
Child trust fund ?

Council tax I did via email. Same for national trust.

I'm sure someone will pop up with others....

Fantastic, thank you smile We will be changing doctors (moving approx 20miles), and youngest is 5 now so probably won't have anu more HV involvement before she starts school in August - but I didn't think of those smile

Ooh child trust fund, can never remember the passwords to get into those confused will have to work that one out! smile

deepfriedsage Sat 25-May-13 09:42:43


ItsAllTLAsToMe Sat 25-May-13 10:09:17

Ah, I need to do all of this. Thanks!

In scotland deepfriedsage, its included in my council tax bill smile but thank you

heymammy Sat 25-May-13 10:24:18

Ooh, great list, I'm moving in 3 weeks so will be keeping this.

Also thought of driving license, Royal Mail redirection thingy...still thinking!

heymammy Sat 25-May-13 10:24:53

Doh just realised you said dvla!

Oooh redirection hmm

Looks to be £21 for 3mths

Mail redirected smile thanks for that heymammy

wonkylegs Sat 25-May-13 10:57:00

Insurances (home, car, travel, life, professional, pet)
Any professional memberships
Any investments
Hospital (if you are an outpatient)
Optician (if you are a regular)
Make sure you change the default settings on any online shopping that you regularly do - Tesco, Amazon, John Lewis. Otherwise your next delivery may end up in the wrong place!

ByTheSea Sat 25-May-13 10:58:50

I am in the same boat. There are some online checklists. I like the one at

Thank you ByTheSea, I will have a look at that smile

specialsubject Sun 26-May-13 12:52:16

I take it that you have your new place insured now - you are liable for that from exchange. You need to keep up your tenants' contents insurance until completion.

car insurance must also be correct from the day of the move.

set up redirects for three months as every change of address letter to a financial institution generates two responses, one to the previous address and one to the new one. The redirect will catch the old one and forward it to you.

TV licence - yes, just change address
DVLA - send off the V5 to get that done. For the licence, do it online if you also have a passport, then your new licence will be generated and sent to you. As soon as it arrives, cut up the old one and the paper bit (careful - cut up the correct one!) and send that back to the DVLA. This system is an impressive bit of joined-up thinking and actually works. (and change of address is free)

what else?
council - if you are moving councils, phone both. If you aren't, just phone one.
friends and family!

moved three times last year, done a lot of this!

Notyetthere Sun 26-May-13 13:45:19

I've been busy making a list of all the people we need to tell about our address changing... so far on my list;

Banks (High Street and Online)
Book or Music Club Subscriptions
Broadband Supplier
Building Society
Burglar Alarm Servicing or Monitoring
Car Insurer, Car Clubs (AA, RAC etc)
Cleaners, Ironing Service, etc.
Clubs – Rotary, Community, Sports etc.
Council (both old & new) - Council Tax Department
Council – cancel any Parking Permits
Credit Card(s) Provider
Electricity, Gas & other Utility Suppliers
e-mail provider(s)
Family & Friends
Hire Purchase Companies
Hospital, if you attend regularly
Household Insurance Supplier – Building and Contents
Home Phone Supplier
Inland Revenue, or HMRC
Internet Service Provider (ISP)
Life Assurance Supplier
Loan or Credit Companies
Magazine Subscriptions
Milkman – cancel deliveries
Mobile Phone Supplier
Newsagent – cancel paper deliveries
Online Retailers (Amazon, eBay, Paypal, Play, etc)
Optician, Hairdresser, other Beauty/Health professionals
Pension Providers
Royal Mail – set up your re-direction service for 3/6/12 mths
Satellite or Cable TV Supplier
Servicing Contractors (Boiler, CH, other Appliances)
Schools & Nurseries, Childminders, Babysitters
Stores or Chains with discount or club cards
TV Licencing Office
Vet, Kennels, Cattery
Window Cleaner

and, as someone also pointed out, if you hold Power of Attorney for anyone, or are named in anyone's Will, consider notifications required here.

In the essentials box for the on moving day;
Cups / Mugs (maybe disposables; if not....)
Washing-up liquid / Washcloth / Towel
Tea / Tea bags
Milk or Dairy Cartons
Sweeteners or Sugar
Energy Drinks
Soft Drinks
Biscuits, Buns, Cakes, Sandwiches
Napkins / Tissues / Kitchen Towel
Hand Cleaning Gel / Wipes
Wind-up Torch
Bin Bags

Insurance starts on completion (all being done thround financial advisor), just cancelled contents insurance for current property, ends 3 days after we are planning to move

ByTheSea Tue 28-May-13 21:22:31

Arghh sorry I meant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now