Talk

Advanced search

Sisal rug under a dining table?

(8 Posts)
lolalotta Fri 24-May-13 21:28:03

Hello, we are taking up the carpet and getting the original pine floors stripped in a few weeks grin and we are beginning to think about rugs. We have an open plan living room/ dining room and we have chosen a Laura Ashley rug for the living area but I have been toying with the idea of a rug under the dining table, not only to protect the floor but also to "zone" that particular area. I live the colour/ look of sisal but would this be very difficult to keep clean with one 3 year old and another on the way??? wink
Thank you!

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Fri 24-May-13 21:29:04

Yes. Unless you have a dog

BCBG Fri 24-May-13 21:29:07

Don't do it! I have sisal elsewhere as very very hardwearing but you cannot clean it if anything liquid lands on it.

pootlebug Fri 24-May-13 22:12:34

I wouldn't have any rug under a dining table with a 3 year old and 1 year old! But especially not a Sisal one - really tough to clean, particularly anything wet.

FishfingersAreOK Fri 24-May-13 22:14:58

Urghhhh no. Not to the sisal, I like sisal too. Just to the gunk that will be in the sisal in but a few weeks. Wait till everyone is over 4 and it is odd accidental spillages rather than gravity/temper experiments.

Though I am a bit anti rugs under tables even now.

treesntrees Fri 24-May-13 22:38:02

I never understand the idea of a rug under the table. Surely it is easier to sweep/mop an area of bare floor than have to get out the vacuem cleaner after every meal and possibly having to get the rug steam cleaned frequently. Doesn't a table with chairs round zone the area?

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 24-May-13 22:40:44

we have a persian rug under the dining room/kitchen table and its very easy to keep clean. We also have a big sisal rug in the main kitchen area which has been great and show no signs of dirt etc We have 2 cats and 2 dirty boys, so they have been put through their paces!

cooper44 Sat 25-May-13 16:25:09

As others have said its a nightmare with children. I spent a fortune on doing the whole house in sisal. Within a couple of weeks ds1 left a beaker of water on the floor which is now a huge dark irremoveable stain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now