Talk

Advanced search

Garden at the side of the house, would this put you off?

(13 Posts)
PareyMortas Fri 24-May-13 16:06:34

We've seen a house on rightmove that ticks all our boxes except that the garden is to the side of the house. It's a corner property so the garden sort of wraps around from front to back. It's very private as it has very high hedges, but on the other side of the hedge is road so people will be walking past.

I can't get past this and feel that the garden should be at the rear and cut off from the road by the house. Having said that in every other way it's our perfect house.wwyd?

Missboobyvontits Fri 24-May-13 16:08:39

My house is like this and causes us no problems at all. We have high fences and shrubs on the border where the pavement is and its all good.

lalalonglegs Fri 24-May-13 17:04:02

I think it would be a good thing - in a typical property the reception rooms are down the side of the house rather than the back so you will have direct access (or can make direct access) from the nicest rooms.

ILikeBirds Fri 24-May-13 17:15:47

Wouldn't put me off, might even be a positive depending on layout, e.g. room to extend sideways

caseycartwright Fri 24-May-13 17:19:40

I love corner plots!

PareyMortas Fri 24-May-13 17:20:08

Interesting, Imaybe I'm making more of a fuss about it than necessary. I'm seeing it tomorrow so will keep an open mind.

Haberdashery Fri 24-May-13 17:23:13

I would like it but I'd probably want a fence or wall rather than a hedge.

Sunnyshores Fri 24-May-13 17:46:21

The only reason it would bother me is because I wouldnt be able to see the children - assuming there are no french doors/windows that side.

LIZS Fri 24-May-13 17:48:22

If it is private and presumably sunny much of the day as must face 3 directions then wouldn't really bother me . If needs be divide it up so children only have easy access to parts you can supervise from indoors.

Vivacia Fri 24-May-13 18:09:35

I would love this. I find the thought of being able to get from back garden to front without going through the house safer than not! We also have dogs, and I like the thought of them being able to 'patrol'.

PareyMortas Fri 24-May-13 20:48:00

We've got dogs too, actually that could be an issue as you'd have to walk through the garden to the front door, so if they were out when the postie arrives etc they could escape eat him.

It's not a very big garden, but a huge house so I'm really torn.

Vivacia Fri 24-May-13 21:48:58

Could you put a fence up?

fussychica Sat 25-May-13 21:20:03

We live on a corner and have the largest part of the garden at the side (though do have some at the rear) and (touch wood) have no problems. We like it as somewhere in the garden is always in sun and neighbour free. Ours is fenced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now