Talk

Advanced search

Some people are weird...

(10 Posts)
oopnorthlass Fri 24-May-13 11:43:45

Just had the strangest 'viewing cancellation' message from our estate agent. Apparently, our viewer cancelled because the property NEXT DOOR (not even attached to our house) looks run down and they therefore think that our house ('recently refurbished to a high standard' as the estate agent's description says) might therefore require a lot of work. hmm

And for the record, the house next door just needs repainting really. It's hardly a crumbling ruin.

Littleolivetree Fri 24-May-13 12:45:05

Well, not that weird. A shabby looking neighbouring property would definitely put me off. I know it shouldn't, but you want your new neighbourhood to be well cared for and friendly. It might have just been a bit of a red flag.

Sunnyshores Fri 24-May-13 17:52:34

I dont follow therefore "your house may require a lot of work" arguement, but I agree that a shabby property next door might put me off. Not if it just needed a paint, but if the garden was overgrown (vermin) or there was rubbish all over the place, or loads of teenagers old bangers or mattresses in the garden etc.

oopnorthlass Fri 24-May-13 21:56:51

Definitely nothing like vermin or mattresses! It literally just needs a new coat of paint, and maybe new windows and doors at a push. The owner is elderly, keeps the garden tidy, he'd just rather spend his money on visiting his sister in Florida every summer. And I don't blame him! We got further feedback from the viewer and they said they'd feel obliged to keep the neighbour's house tidy to make the street look good.

LynetteScavo Fri 24-May-13 22:03:36

Well, TBH, I always look at the neighbours houses when buying.

I was slightly dubious about buying this house because I didn't like the nextdoor neighbours shirt. I can be very fussy.

oopnorthlass Fri 24-May-13 22:11:38

Lynette grin

deepfriedsage Sat 25-May-13 09:47:26

I discounted a property because the woman across the road raised net curtains to observe me viewing.

DENMAN03 Sat 25-May-13 14:17:20

I used to always do a 'drive by' before viewing and the state of next door would concern me. I discounted one because the amount of rubbish in the garden and another when a neighbour started shouting at me for parking my car in front of the house (on the road and not across anyones drive!)

At least they didn't waste your time by looking around when they had already discounted it in their minds so thats a positive I guess.

oopnorthlass Sat 25-May-13 14:31:25

That's true. smile

Jergens Sat 25-May-13 19:13:35

Too funny Lynette! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now