Advanced search

Do i need indemnity for sewer 'buildover' when it's not an extension?

(7 Posts)
rumbelina Tue 21-May-13 16:00:42

I live in dense, back to back, terraced housing. The house was built in 1903, over a sewer it transpires. There are no extensions, just the original house.

We are selling and the buyer's solicitors is demanding an indemnity as there is no buildover agreement, which didn't even exist in those days. They have informed the mortgage lender so we can't refuse unless we want to cancel the sale.

I am so cross and concerned that this is going to cost us a fortune. All the bloody streets in my local area must be over sewers and no one has bothered about this (for my house anyway) for 110 years!

rumbelina Tue 21-May-13 16:08:42

And does anyone have any idea how much it would cost for indemnity cover?


ItsAllTLAsToMe Tue 21-May-13 16:12:07

I imagine that you do, but also that it will be relatively inexpensive. Get your solicitor onto it before you worry about it too much.

rumbelina Tue 21-May-13 17:05:52

I think it might be a lot as it has to cover the cost of the water board knocking the house down to get to the sewer. Argh.

Mendi Tue 21-May-13 21:52:06

I got this sort of indemnity when I bought my house as the seller didn't have it. My conservatory is built over main drains. The indemnity cost about £40. I wouldn't worry. Your solicitor should get a quote for you.

Mendi Tue 21-May-13 21:53:08

I bought my house 7 years ago btw.

It won't cost a lot. Although the payout would be a lot if you did claim, the risk is very low and hence so is the premium.

rumbelina Wed 22-May-13 06:04:45

Thanks, mendi. Fingers crossed...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: