Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone give me a rough price for a single garage conversion to a bedroom?

(5 Posts)
rosieposey Tue 21-May-13 15:10:27

We are looking at houses newish builds that have intergral garages - would be interested in turning one into a room (probably bedroom for oldest DD) but i have no idea what this would cost?

Has anyone had one done and if so would you mind saying roughly how much - It'd be in Devon.

Potterer Tue 21-May-13 17:07:26

You would need to check that there isn't a condition set by the council that you can't convert it. They can be removed but usually depend on the off road parking set up.

I converted a double garage, and changed the doors to windows, so for a double it was around £11k. But for a single you can go as little as £6k but up to £8k. For a bedroom you need to concentrate on insulation.

If the garage is fully integral ie is the same width as the house then it would be double walled with a cavity, where you need to pay close attention is where the garage sticks out from the house so it would have a single skin (brick wall no breeze block internal wall)

If you retained the front garage door and used the space at the front for storage, ie when the garage door is opened (if it is an up and over door or pivot style door) you can build a wall just behind where the door extends and this should be cheaper.

Windows wise it would depend if there was one already and if you could put one on the side wall.

I was lucky that a builder could give me a ball park figure before I even bought a house, he said to budget £8k. I am in Yorkshire, I hope this helps give you a general idea.

Toptack Tue 21-May-13 17:18:44

Might vary a bit from place to place, I spoke to a builder in Hampshire who said he charged 15k for a single garage conversion!

doglover Tue 21-May-13 17:37:10

My friend had hers done for £4k + £300 building regs + £500 finishing off so £5k total for a single integral garage conversion.

rosieposey Wed 22-May-13 15:56:39

Thanks everyone - i was hoping it would be around 5k - dont think it will be a problem to convert as all the other houses around there seem to have done it.

Will stress the need for it being properly insulated though as it will need to be a bedroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now