Talk

Advanced search

Living on a estate

(8 Posts)
Stephanie16 Mon 20-May-13 21:29:54

Hi there I am not originally from the uk and I am looking at buying a house I have seem one on an estate and don't have a clue of what it means. What is an estate house? Thx

nocake Mon 20-May-13 21:35:37

An estate is an area that is all housing which will generally have all been built at the same time.

JazzAnnNonMouse Mon 20-May-13 22:10:05

Or it's a massive house tht has its own estate...

flow4 Tue 21-May-13 08:25:05

And just to confuse things more, we also distinguish between 'private estates' and 'council estates'. The latter were built by local councils as 'social housing', for people on low incomes originally... But much of the UK's council housing was sold off in the 1980s and is now sold and re-sold privately, just like any other housing.
There is still quite a lot of snobbery about 'council housing', so house prices on council estates are generally lower than on private estates. But the houses are often much better built, because they were built to last and councils didn't need to make any profit, unlike private developers.
If you're considering a house on an estate, you'll need to be happy with the feel of the whole estate, not just the individual house. Some estates are just like any other street, but many have their own particular feel... Visit and walk round during the day and in the evening. Does it feel pleasant? Does it seem well-designed? Are houses well cared for? Are there people around during the day? Does the atmosphere suit you?

LastButOneSplash Tue 21-May-13 08:41:28

Pedant alert, but council estates weren't originally built for people with low incomes. They were built as part of the post war vision of a better society, similar to the NHS and welfare state. They are rooted in the idea that housing is a need therefore everyone should be able to access suitable housing. Like everyone having access to health care. They became places for people with low incomes due to subsequent government policy and are now being denigrated further for political reasons. At their inception there was great pride in having a council house. Ok I've finished grin

flow4 Tue 21-May-13 08:59:19

grin I stand corrected!

LastButOneSplash Tue 21-May-13 09:41:50

grin

Stephanie16 Tue 21-May-13 13:35:41

Thanks you so much for all the advices will look into them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now